ad: elecraft

Beat The HOA With A Stealth Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Aug 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N6TPT

N6TPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Our HOA rules only address rooftop antennas (or anything else you might want to put on top of the roof). They don't say anything about ground mounted antennas, so I guess a tower would be OK. There is one level of approval above the HOA, however. My wife thinks "stupidradio" is one word. My R7 vertical is sticking up through some trees and a random length end fed wire goes from the corner of the deck to a tree. For 2 meters I've got a J pole hanging under the deck and a 3 element 2 meter Yagi mounted under the deck pointed north. So far she's happy. So, there's that...

M1WML and WJ6F like this.
  2. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The ECHR was signed into and, in some states and circumstances, ratified into effect in 1950 and radio communications was a mature technology at the time. The US Constitution was signed and ratified long before Hertz, Marconi, et. al. invented radio. Since HOAs are a voluntary contractual accord, Americans can elect to stay away from them or join them as they see fit.

Since the US is not a signatory to the ECHR, it is moot in ITU-II.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    KF4ZKU and M1WML like this.
  3. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The impact baton is an accepted less than lethal police weapon. Likewise, if assaulted first, self defense exemptions in the law allow reciprocal beat downs.

Combat flame operations such as flamethrowers, fougasse, incendiary projectiles, etc. are accepted by both the Geneva and Hague Conventions, along with the Law of Armed Conflict/IHL.

Just wait for a recognized conflict. Better yet, buy your neighbor a beer and talk it out. ;)

4. WD8BP

WD8BP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, lived in a townhouse for 11 yrs and had tons of success with vhf ,uhf and hf operations with indoor antenna's. At one point, I had 9 antenna's (80 thru 440) and all worked excellent in my attic! People did not believe what a great signal I was given people, so I took photo's, shown on my qrz page.
    Never underestimate the ability to get a signal out in the air when conditions are not favorable for antenna installation. The camo look of this antenna is super nice !
    Thanks for posting a video !
    Mike
    WD8BP

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    KO4LZ, KF4ZKU, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  5. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Best way to beat the HOA ... Don't move into one!

NC1Y, BRIANXX72, KF4ZKU and 4 others like this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically "The HOA" is not a person so there for now humans were beaten, and since it is a "stealth antenna" no one saw it. so again you're in the clear! :D

KF4ZKU, KN4VDG and M1WML like this.
  7. M0PMO

M0PMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was forced to blend my antennas into the background after my neighbours and local council complained, and I was forced to take them down. My only option was to camouflage my Spider Beam and Diamond X510. You can clearly see the Spider Beam, but can you spot the X510 in the photo? This only works when using ever green trees as the leaves do not fall off in the autumn.

I've had no more complaints since I did this over a year ago.

Stealthy.jpg

CX3ABD, KF4ZKU, 2E0CIT and 3 others like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Misleading.

Yes, yes you can beat people and set them on fire. Laws are just words on paper that cannot actively prevent anyone from doing otherwise. Prisons are full of such individuals. :p Not debating, just being humorous.

** I do not condone the beating and setting people on fire.

In some areas where I lived in Missouri they "disguised" cell towers/monopoles to look like trees.

M1WML likes this.
  9. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,
    HOA's certainly aren't for everyone. For my operating activity this +55 works out great. This place, and others back 66 acres of woods which gives me the space for practically any type wire antenna.
    The UHF/VHF antennas in the attic do everything for us that took place at the old location with a 50ft tower. The TV antenna in the attic picks up all the TV we want from Philadelphia.
    The TV antenna was on the roof here with a 3ft tripod. Got a new roof in October and moved it to the loft. No more holes in the roof!
    Federal law says no HOA or whatever can stop anyone from picking up free TV....Ken

KF4ZKU, KN4VDG, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  10. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be true is amature radio was a "right". It is a privilege in the United States.

I can see both points. People pay a premium to live in a gated community or exclusive neighborhoods. They don't want to have to look at an antenna farm. I don't blame them.

Personally, I would avoid moving to such a place. For the same money I can have acres and acres of land. People leave each other alone in the country for the most part. I raise chickens and like to target practice. Same deal.

Simple. Don't move into a neighborhood with an HOA, knowing the rules, and then become another crybaby. If people can get away with stealth antennas that's great. Awesome way for companies to drum up much needed business.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KN4VDG

KN4VDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The issue in the states is that when you move into an HOA you sign a contract with a private entity agreeing to follow their rules. In doing so we surrender, legally and willingly (how stupid is that?) some of the freedoms that are ours by right.
    Its a growing problem because more and more new communties being are set up as HOAs. Many can't get a home they want, or need, without moving into one.

Oh and I need to point out, only Transmitting on Amateur bands are a privilege here, Receiving is a right, and thus so are antennas, unless you sign that right away so you can live in an HOA or some such.

I agree with the crybaby comment in previous reply, but some people become Hams after they moved to the HOA but due personal economics can't afford to get out. I would never move to one. I prefer variety in the people and the homes around me. Oh and my antenna in the front yard!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    CX3ABD, M1WML and PA0MHS like this.
  12. KN4VDG

KN4VDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The X510 is definitely stealthy. It only stands out a little because it is unnaturally straight. You wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it. Very stealthy.

What's bothering me is that I can't find the spiderbeam at all!

M1WML likes this.
  13. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You do not understand. Its called suburbia. These are privileged neighborhoods. Privileged people PAY extra money to live in them. They pay extra to have less freedom. They know the rules when they buy into the neighborhood. The government is not taking their rights, they are voluntarily giving them up. They live there to avoid nasty working class people. They also want to avoid people of color. At least the ones who do not want to be invited to boring bbq,s and be their pet to show off to friends. They would probably invite my family and have a table of watermelons, fried chicken, collards and malt liquor just for us.

Probably makes no sense. They make the choice to live there, then try to one up the community. It’s a stupid game they play. They think a hobby makes them “special “.

myself? We have land and lots of it. True freedom. Real wealth. We can do whatever the hell we want with it. Just 3 hours ago I was shooting targets. Maybe 300 rounds. No one cares…

M1WML likes this.
  14. DO8SAS

DO8SAS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If that backfires.....you are in a lot of trouble.
    I'm glad that over here in DL, the only restriction I got from the landlord was to not alter the structure of the building, meaning: No drilling.
    Glad I got around that with a fishing rod and some velcro tape :)

15. ITAL7

ITAL7 QRZ Member

Not enough videos about those stuck on the 3rd floor of an apartment building needing a stealth solution which includes random wires, an MFJ artificial ground, a counterpoise, ununs, baluns, ways to reduce common mode RFI with a wire going straight into your shack into the back of a tuner. It's taken for granted that people have a balcony or a garden. When I read HOA I think of so much more. The video creators which make good and helpful videos should produce that content, if they even understand extreme apartment limitations. You can get on the air being inside of an apartment. Yes you can.

M1WML likes this.