ad: Mountaingoat-1

Beaches On The Air - BOTA

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by EC1CW, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. EC1CW

EC1CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your account is now active. Welcome to Beaches On The Air!

2. WC9B

WC9B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Diego, hope you see you on the Air

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any nude beaches that we can activate?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My female dog got all excited when she heard me discussing this. She thought I said, 'bitches on the air,' and ran to pick up a microphone in her mouth and bring it to me, wagging her tail.

Had to explain she heard it wrong.

5. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page

To be specific, are beaches on lakes other than the great lakes able to be added? Meaning beaches on lakes/islands in land-locked lakes can be added to the list?

Is there a link to the rules for the organization I can follow?

Thanks, would be fun to add to my SOTA/USIOTA activations.

6. EC1CW

The idea is that the list must be complete and objective. The condition for inclusion of a beach on the list should be clear and objective, and the list should include all instances fulfilling that condition in a given region (dxcc entity, in our case).

The easiest way to achieve this is to borrow the lists of beaches from governmental sources such as environmental agencies, or from private international programmes, such as the Blue Flag awards.

If these are not available or satisfactory, it would be theoretically possible to elaborate an alternative list based on different criteria, but this would mean a lot of hard work from the promoter, especially for a big dxcc entity.

7. N8LBF

N8LBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, EC1CW, for your reply and for your work setting up BOTA. I have registered for this new organization, and have just finished studying the Michigan (US) Region listing of beaches. With 564 listings, it is a formidable list. But it consists of only beaches on the Great Lakes. Michigan, and other Great Lakes states, are blessed with many inland, freshwater lakes, almost all of which have beaches. These are not included on the Michigan Region list of beaches.

Your concerns about inclusion of beaches, listed in your previous entry, are valid. The same questions, though, will always be asked - how come my beach is not on the list? Therefore, the BOTA administrative group will have to make a decision: do you define BOTA beaches as only those listed on the Region listing on the website or do you adopt a policy by which members can petition to get new beaches listed (defining what constitutes a "beach," public access vs private beach, minimum size of water body that can contain a beach (many ponds (ie, small bodies of water, maybe 1 acre in size) contain private beaches).

Sorry for the suggestion of additional bureaucracy, and I do really like the simplicity of the program as it stands now, but questioning about definitions will continue to belabor what you are attempting to do.

Keep up the good work. A Beaches on the Air program is very interesting in Michigan (US).

Dave, N8LBF

8. EC1CW

The current list of beaches is not exhaustive. There will be procedures for updating the list of beaches and adding new references.

Our basic principles can be found here:

http://www.beachesontheair.com/welcome-beaches-air-bota
    http://www.beachesontheair.com/awards

We have also recently published some guidelines for activators too:

http://www.beachesontheair.com/guidelines

We will develop more detailed rules as the program evolves by interpreting and applying our basic principles to particular circumstances.

I am really looking forward to the first activations from the US.

Diego EC1CW

9. N8LBF

N8LBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Diego, for the clarifications.

I feel the need to activate some Michigan beaches, even though winter has finally struck (high of 20 deg F, -7 C in central Michigan today). Your list of Activator Guidelines should be helpful.

Dave, N8LBF
    Michigan, USA

10. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, another fun portable radio adventure!

11. SM5MEK

SM5MEK Ham Member QRZ Page

12. EC1CW

The server were the site is hosted is down since yesterday. The whole webhosting company site is down, and there is no customer support. I will wait a couple of days to see if it comes back, which would make migration to other hosting provider easier.

13. EC1CW

14. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds good, I signed up. If nothing else it will give me something to do when the stripers aren't hitting on my local beach :)

15. EC1CW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.