ad: Radclub22-1

Beaches On The Air - BOTA

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by EC1CW, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. EC1CW

EC1CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at http://www.beachesontheair.com/.

A new award scheme inspired by Summits On The Air -SOTA.

Beaches on the Air (BOTA) is an award scheme for radio amateurs and shortwave listeners that encourages portable operation from beaches.

There are awards for activators (those who operate from the beaches) and chasers (those who contact activators from home or elsewhere). BOTA can be operated from any country or region across the world.

Each country or region has its own manager, who prepares the list of recognised beaches within that country or region, which is approved by the central BOTA management team.

Activators and chasers accumulate points with each QSO. Their total score is calculated by adding the square root of the number of QSOs made from each different beach (activators) or with each different beach (chasers). Activators can activate, and chasers can chase, the same beach as many times as they wish and they will always earn additional points, but there will be decreasing returns to activating the same beach due to the square-root rule, which encourages the exploration of new beaches. Certificates are available for various scores, both for activators and chasers.

W1LEB likes this.
  2. EC1CW

3. EC1CW

4. K6FNI

K6FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the definition of Beach include sandy strips located along the shore of lakes and rivers?

Robert, K6FNI

5. WA7GWT

WA7GWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Signed up, waiting for my e-mail, have two questions. First, is activity limited to the HF bands, and two, does operating on multiple bands in one setting count as one activation or multiple?

6. EC1CW

7. EC1CW

WA7GWT: Operation is not limited to any band or mode, but the use of repeaters is not allowed. Operation from the same beach in the same day constitutes a single activation, irrespective of the bands or modes used. Your account is active now. Welcome to Beaches On The Air!

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

This is really cool! I live in Washington State - we have ZILLIONS of beaches registered due to so much Pacific Ocean coastline and inland coast of the Puget Sound waters.

Good fun for Spring/Summer!

Thanks for posting - I'm signing up now

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and WD4IGX like this.
  9. EC1CW

Your account is now active. Welcome to Beaches On The Air!

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thank you! I've been perusing the list of beaches - AMAZING how many I have near me - several are even walking distance believe it or not! Hundreds and hundreds are within a hour or two drive. Easily a thousand that are day trips or overnighters if I count Oregon

Really cool project!

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  11. WA7GWT

WA7GWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you

12. EC1CW

13. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

this is a GREAT project! Since the closest mountain is 500 miles away, SOTA is not a practical thing for me.... but BOTA certainly is! AND since I live on the Gulf Coast, I won' have to wait until Spring. I'll be signing up later today, when I get back to my desk.

14. 2E0HPI

2E0HPI Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Interested in activating the beaches here in the North East of the UK

I am always active from many of the beaches listed

2E0HPI

15. WC9B

WC9B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just signed up, maybe I can activate some Hawaii Beachs before I move next month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.