Be VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE When buying.

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by K7HN, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is mostly a note for newer Hams. I’m one of them but I also have business experience. Make sure when you’re buying any used product you get the most information you can about it.

DON’T trust just what the ad says… Actually CONTACT the seller. Speak with them, ask them pertinent questions like “do you know any history of the item, can you tell me any modifications it might have… how old is it? What’s the serial number” (you DON’T want to buy possibly stolen merchandise) Things like that.

Make sure and check on the item carefully.

It’s your hard-earned money that’s going to the seller so make sure you know exactly what you’re buying.

And for heavens sake NEVEF use “Friends and Family” when using PayPal. Did you know if you use that part you lose your PayPal protection on buying the item if it’s defective?

I recently had an exceptionally difficult sale with VE3QZ where I was told things that weren’t truthful and literally put through the meat grinder trying to deal with him. It’s better to walk away from a possible “good sale“ then to take the risk of “jumping in and hoping for the best.“

There are always other items you’re specifically looking for to be had.

In one case, I wasn’t allowed to post negative feedback about a Ham because he was one of the people who “sponsored the online classified company who places his ads!”

Yep, the unnamed site that sells many ham items seems to not allow negative feedback posts on people who may help them financially.

So, “feedback isn’t always the best indicator of who you’re buying from either” on some sites because they may censor your bad feedback not letting possible future buyers know about the way a seller conducts business.

That site did that to me twice, not allowing me to post negative feedback about someone because they were helped financially by them.

So, what do you do?

Don’t be afraid to follow up on things people tell you when you look to buy an item. Check with the store or manufacturer if it applies to make sure what you’ve been told is true, especially when it comes to warrantees and if they are transferable. And modified transceivers and if that may void the warranty as well.

What I’m trying to say here especially to new ham operators worldwide is do your due diligence.

Make sure and check on things that people are selling that you’re interested in. Get your questions answered… And if they’re not to your satisfaction, move on. There are plenty of other ways to buy the items you want. QRZ is a good example of a good place to find things.

Be careful out there and 73 from the Pacific Northwest!

Larry
    K7HN

2. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been lucky to buy used equipment from local friends. It may have not been the best deal on the net,but it's much better than dealing with strangers. Just remember to not be so greedy,and be a smart shopper.

K7HN and AI3V like this.
  3. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, let's name names!

WN1MB likes this.
  4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a odd experence once.

I bought a transceiver, for a reasonable price from a seller that clearly stated " does not transmit because the final is burnt out"

Well, the actual reason it didn't transmit is because the microphone was bad.

The final would have cost $26.

The microphone cost $25.

I lied on the feedback and said the item was as described :)

If you are buying a radio, and you can't see it in operation, or from someone you know and trust, assume it has problems and bid accordingly.

Rege

K7HN likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been rooked every time I buy an old CB for $5. "Does this actually work?" "Oh yes it works great!" Clunk, #5 in the pile.

Finally a friend took pity on me and gave me a 1975 Sanyo CB and some period Radio Shack booklets. And a form 605 just in case.

K7HN likes this.
  6. NE4EB

NE4EB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trust issues. They exist. Some forums I won't risk 20 bucks. One particular one that is highly vetted and invitation only with a minimum of two sponsoring existing members, shipped me a $1100 rifle (through a local FFL) before I got the check written.

Most of the innerwebz falls somewhere in between.

With some folks a signed and witnessed contract means nothing. With other folks, their spoken word on an obligation is better than any contract.

I doubt this has ever changed.

N0TZU and K7HN like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

a correction: “Friends and Family” is only for giving money away, not for goods or services.

K7HN likes this.
  9. K7HN

I don’t think really that’s the main point part here the main point part is just to be careful that’s all and sometimes feedback may be skewed.

10. K7HN

True, but you know as well as I do some sellers try to do it to avoid paying PayPal fees for goods or services. That’s the point