ad: w5yi

Be really careful when saying "includes shipping" on anything but small stuff!

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Mar 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why should the buyer need to "learn a lesson" exactly? The seller posted $50 with free shipping. I paid. What lesson was I to have learned exactly? Should it be the buyer's responsibility to calculate shipping costs for the seller to protect him?

any lesson to be learned is on the seller's part.

Either way, I emailed and asked "so how much to make you whole?" and have not heard back. I feel I have done MORE than my part.

Dave
    W7UUU

N1VAU, WB0MPB and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed!

Although.....there is at least one 12 tube receiver (13 tubes if you count the ballast regulator) that will fit in a flat-rate box.....Pierson KE-93

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I beg to differ. The buyer did nothing wrong or unethical. It's the seller's problem. Let him pay for it. Just my 2 nickels worth.

N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, I beg to differ. You can't buy a good relationship. In this case, things worked out well because the seller 'manned up.'

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Update: Seller emailed and was very nice - absolved me of any blame or further payment.

I like "stand-up sellers" like that. Yes - he learned an important lesson but he took it like an adult. I can admire that.

Dave
    W7UUU

K2HAT, N1VAU, KA2CZU and 6 others like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You handled it properly, Dave.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, I shipped a single cylinder crank shaft along with some other parts in one. $15 in 2008 from the east coast to the west coast. That box easily weight 40 pounds!
    You are right, corrugated cardboard, a few layers and no free space is very secure. A box, pilled with peanuts and a box floating in the middle does not absorb shock as well.

N2EY likes this.
  8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't buy from anyone who I can see has a screwy shipping cost. They are just as likely to screw up other aspects of the sale.

I have underestimated shipping before and just ate it. Would never even mention it to the buyer.
    It was a good learning experience and little concern over the long run.

Not like it prevented me from retiring!

N1VAU, N2EY and AJ4GQ like this.