ad: wmr-1

BBC article on Arthur Moore, the Welsh ham who received Titanic's messages.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 2E0CIT, May 22, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

'When the Titanic hit an iceberg while crossing the Atlantic in 1912, its telegraphers desperately sent out distress calls hoping somebody, somewhere might hear them.

But among the first to respond was an amateur radio operator some 2,000 miles (3,200km) away in south Wales'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65398807

I admire Artie Moore! He was clearly a gifted innovator whose talents were eventually recognised by Marconi.
    73 y'all, Jeff

N1VAU, M0MNE, KB5IAV and 21 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the link to an interesting story - and a bit a radio history!

KB5IAV and 2E0CIT like this.
  3. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, THANK YOU. A very interesting story, I had not heard of this before.

WW3JR, WS9K and 2E0CIT like this.
  4. AF5LS

AF5LS Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting indeed. Um. Does Ofcom hate CW? 2E0 is not a very convenient prefix...

M0MNE and 2E0CIT like this.
  5. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Danke Gut!

2E0CIT likes this.
  6. 4X1ST

4X1ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And Scots operators... I feel for them having to key MM0 ...

AF5LS and 2E0CIT like this.
  7. KB9HPM

KB9HPM Ham Member QRZ Page

What a wonderful story! Leave it to the “unusual” one being at the right place at the right time to have pioneered wireless technology into the present day EMCOMM that has taken amateur radio by storm! By the same token, it also lead the way into professional agencies using it as well. Those not familiar with amateur radio might still give it a hesitant glance but we are the test bed for all up and coming technologies (which might be the reason that the government still allows us to stay in operation). All other communication technologies have holes in them if systems fail. But leave it to radio to bust through the holes if things go south. It was great to be able to read about the history of radio. It takes us back to our roots and reminds us of where we came from.

Ham Radio saves lives!

2E0CIT likes this.
  8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

interesting

2E0CIT likes this.
  9. KI5YQL

KI5YQL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had never known about this, this is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that information!

2E0CIT likes this.