ad: portazero-1

Battleship Iowa I&E Team to Exercise Legacy Radios

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W6HB, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6HB

W6HB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Battleship Iowa Innovation
    and Engineering Team will
    exercise the ship's legacy radios
    on January 26 from 1700 to 2000
    UTC. The call sign activated will
    be NE6PM, a variant of the ship's
    Navy call sign NEPM. Operations
    will be SSB/J3E only as the gear
    is circa '80's vintage, it not
    easy operated on CW/A1A and
    requires 5 persons to support one
    Q. Frequencies will be 7191 and
    14243 KHz plus or minus QRM or
    band activity. QSL to NE6PM per
    address and info on QRZ.com.

AB4KA and KA0HCP like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, 9am to noon local Pacific time. 7191 and 14243. +/- QRM ? Or are you crystal bound?

I couldn't find any information about the ship's radios on the Battleship Iowa website. Can you tell me a little? Maybe post a photo?

Thanks

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out this link for photos and this one from a similar operation a few years ago for some info.

"The AN/URT-23(C) transmitters, he joked, are “built like a battleship,” with 4CX1500Bs in the final and nominally capable of putting out a couple of kilowatts. He noted that once the Gray Radio Gang has confirmed the signal paths for the various shipboard transmitters and receivers, it will be able to put a transmitter/receiver pair in operation for certain special events. “At this time it’s unlikely that we will use the original radio equipment for ‘routine’ Amateur Radio operations, as it’s very manpower intensive, requiring at least six people to operate,” Jerzycke explained. "

73, John, WØPV