ad: wmr-1

Battle to save the 9cm band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA4UKX

WA4UKX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Post Thank You 73 wa4ukx

3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a lot of interest in these transmit capable SDR's and experimenters realize pretty quickly that an amateur radio license allows them to transmit on much less congested frequencies and with more power (instead of being stuck in crowded unlicensed ISM bands).

This wasn't publicized here on qrz.com, but at the last DEFCON hacker conference, there was a huge VE session with 172 people earning a new license class. These guys (and hopefully a few gals) are 20 and 30 somethings with a lot of zeal to experiment. They are NOT looking to get on 40 meters and rag chew about their gall bladder operation.

The microwave bands are perfect for new modes and especially wide bandwidth modes (our 3 GHz allocation is 200 MHz wide, 3300 to 3500 MHz). It's clear (at least to me) that we need to hang on to these frequencies for this new generation of experimenters to explore.

It's also up to us older hams to show what can be done. For example, here's my open source DVB-S2 implementation for transmit capable SDR's. With the bladeRF SDR, I can transmit a 24 MHz wide signal with state of the art error correction and modulation at up to 89 Mbps.

https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-dvbs2

[​IMG]

Taken from this Twitter post by K3QB.

https://twitter.com/USSJoin/status/500127312168226816

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats really amazing Ron! On all accounts.

Thanks for pointing these out.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.