ad: Preppcomm-1

Battery power source

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KO4CPR, May 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

The only reason my radio is connected to a secondary battery in my camper van, is because I have a secondary battery, and can use it with the engine off without worrying about running down the starting battery. The solar panels easily keep up with the radio. In my truck it's connected to the starting battery with APO activated.

2. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As has been stated, using the starter battery is the traditional way, and has worked fine for years, but now, with most cars using some sort of battery state-of-charge monitoring system, be sure that your connections to both + and - are placed appropriately and will not interfere with the monitoring process.
    See the "Where to Connect Power" section (starting at the BMS section in the 4th paragraph) of this site:
    http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

KI5LTA and US7IGN like this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I always connect my Icom 706mk2g to the starter battery, but I never leave it connected unless I am on air. Even in the off state, it still consumes current. For permanent installations, I would recommend turning off the power completely through a powerful relay.

4. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did that completely wrong on my 2019 Ram. I put the negative lead for the ft-891 straight to the driver side battery post. It hasn't caused any issues but might be a problem with a smaller vehicle or more than a 100 watt rig.

That little nut on the post clamp was just too convenient.

Screenshot_20210823-175618_eBay.jpg

5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a buddy who constantly left his radio on with expected results. I wired a relay in so when the car was on power or acc it would let the radio work. Myself being a boat guy I have a 40a battery disconnect switch installed in the console driving a West Mountain rig runner. It stays off until after start and I am very good on killing it before shutting down. I find its much quicker if I have a radio issue to know exactly where to look, change a fuse etc. If I want to operate parked for a while I can switch it to the house batteries which get charged through a battery charging monitor. It's worked out very well past three years being wired like a boat would.
    If your not mindful though a relay is your best bet. I was flying before I ever drove so starting and shutdown procedure's is second nature. Just do what works for you.

6. N4HHE

N4HHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Most modern radios have an automatic power-off option. Can be annoying when the thing turns off on long trips if one doesn't talk much.

7. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't worry about it. I have two vehicles with FTM400 radios both running APRS, no issues. I set the APO to 2 hours. I never turn the radio off manually.
    My '17 van still has it's original factory battery mounted, going into it's fifth winter.

K0UO likes this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see how a dual band radio can run a battery down in a short time. Do you set the time out timer so the radio shuts off?
    You might want to see if your battery is any good or junk
    And you can't up the radio directory up to batteries on modern vehicles/ like has been posted above they all have sensors on the negative wire

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

SOUNDS like a junk batt....
    I hv gentle desulfator / maintainers on my uber expensive AGM deeps in the RV and portable supply...
    You need both positive and negative direct to battery posts and not the fuse box for 'body gnd' vehicles....
    That will by-pass those damn sensors safely... ;)
    Just don't forget to have the radio power lines fused...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    K0UO likes this.