battery+inverter for TS-830S on Field Day

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BIN, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just use your car battery and plan on starting it every 30 minutes or so? I think this still meets the battery power rules. just don't go to long or you will be amazed at how quick a battery will do down where it won't start your car.

2. NO6O

NO6O Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My car battery was near the end of its usefulness last year, and finally drained to the point where it would no longer take a charge. When shopping for a replacement, I discovered a deep cycle battery was available. It was more expensive, but has twice the capacity of the regular replacement, along with a 10-year warranty. This battery has been working great. I typically operate my mobile station while parked, and may go for 2 or 3 hours. The car has never had a problem starting afterwards. I also use a N8XJK Battery Booster, which does a great job keeping the voltage peaked.

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest investing in a second radio for backup in the shack and for field day use at present I use a IC-7000 for that with a AT-7000 tuner.

For power I have 4 cell site batteries (free take outs) that will run all weekend no problems. Others use a portable generator to recharge there batteries on site and others solar a lot of options. I personally don't know of anyone that use AC radios. Well I take that back I do but that is when I take my motorhome and run the diesel generator all weekend with all the comforts of home :)

4. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

TNX to you all. WA7PRC's battery litter is keen :cool: and it gives me an idea........:D

The fact that the TS-830S is 120V is part of the ding-dong appeal of this whole project. :rolleyes:

5. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m thinking,… the heavy duty off road coaster wagon Harbor Freight sells might look real nice under that battery box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.