Battery connection for mobile rig

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K4LD, Sep 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4LD

K4LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Everyone,
    I own a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD that has two batteries in it (it's a diesel if it makes any difference). Does anyone know if it makes a difference as to what battery to connect the power cables of the radio to? In case it matters, the radio is an Icom ID-5100A.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

How are the batteries used in the vehicle? (very unusual to have two, unless someone has added a second one to feed a high-power music system.)

Presuming they are both 12V, I would connect to the one nearest the rig.

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dual batteries is standard on the diesel. I'd find where they connect to each other, or to the distribution box uder the hood, and tap it there.
    With most vehicles having a battery monitoring program, don't connect Negative/Ground directly to the battery, but to the pigtail from the battery where it terminates on the fender or other metal surface. This allows the drain from the radio to be detected by the truck's computer.

4. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

On my '12 F250 PowerStroke, I used the driver's side battery for hot to the 50 watt Motorola mobile. (Motorola's install sheet calls for +12vdc to be connected directly at the battery post.) I ran the Motorola factory power cable through the large grommet next to the brake pedal. There's lots of open rubber on that grommet so no chance of hitting any truck wiring. I grounded the main power cable on the battery's ground strap connection to the chassis. Ford provides 4 pass-through wires (#14) in the harness going through the firewall so I have plenty of avenues to run emergency lights, etc. without additional penetration of the grommet. One power outlet has been replaced with a Blue Sea dual USB outlet and the power source for that is moved to run/accessory from always hot. I also changed the power for the four factory accessory switches from run/ignition to always hot.
    [​IMG]

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't make any difference just the closest one to your rig I have a 2008 Duramax and a 2016 Duramax. Follow K5BBC advice on the grounding. Shouldn't have much problems with VHF and UHF radios.
    I get lots of engine faults when running high power HF amplifiers on the newer Duramax but so far I haven't killed a computer after operating many hours! If you're running HF ground everything, doors, Mufflers, the beds, tailgate, Hood and motor, I use copper strap. The structural bolts and Nets are coated and don't conduct well at all, I grinded off the coating. Once you have the straps attached then you can spray something back over them if you want to. Up all the grounding back to your antenna mounts, good luck.

6. KR4IS

KR4IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Chevy 2500 gas,put in the second battery, 4 Guage wire and 100 amp fuses at both batteries,,I run a kw on 10m.

Attached Files:

7. KR4IS

KR4IS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the rig

Attached Files:

8. KC1IIL

KC1IIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was unsure on how to install a "base station inside a 2017 chevy colorado electricly and also unseure id it maters if the live is connected to the live temental on battery or if it shoud be coneted to a power fedding acestory line that gives 12vdc