Battery box for Group 24 battery?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC6ETE, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a few out there, from about $65 to about $250(!)

They never show pics inside to see how well it's wired or say much about that though.

I'm going to use this in the shack most of the time, then mobile/portable on camping trips.

Any recommendations? Ones to stay away from?

2. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built mine, box cost 20 or so bucks, the battery cost 60, and the PWRGate cost 50 used. Added a Westmountain power distribution box, and saved around 150 bucks... I was careful to fuse the main power at the battery...

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

They are pretty cheap: USA made NOCO brand
    Group 24 marine battery box, with snap-on lid and retainer strap costs $13.95 here.
    You should find one local, it's not worth the postage to ship.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

I ended up going with the west mountain radio box without their charger, but with the rigrunner, and a 56AH Dakota Lithium battery.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Between 8 and twenty bucks for a good battery box for a group 24/27

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a boat battery box from Academy, a dual Powerpole snap-in chassis mount, a couple of automotive fuse holders, and various crimp terminals. I have an RC-style volt / amp / watt meter to keep track of things.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I hear "battery box", I think of a plain box with no wiring, vented properly to safely hold a flooded lead-acid battery. Those are available inexpensively at any RV or Marine store, and at most auto parts stores.

There are companies that add all sorts of accessories: power pole distribution, lighter sockets, voltage, current, power, or energy meters, USB sockets, solar charge controllers, inverters to power 120VAC outlets, the possibilities go on.

While a lot of those extras can be useful in various situations, I'm not sure why they have to be in the same box with the battery.

I prefer the flexibility of taking along just the accessories I need for a particular purpose, so I have put each of my batteries in a box with nothing except a fuse and a powerpole connector. I can then connect whatever I need.

I have a few different batteries, some lithium, some AGM, so I can take just as much battery as I need for a particular outing.

I've toyed with the idea of building a "power goodie box". It would be a sturdy case, perhaps waterproof, with a power inlet where I can connect the battery. I could fill the top and sides of the box with every panel mount gadget from the PowerWerx catalog. But I've never gotten around to it, and I probably never will, because my list of desired accessories keeps changing. I like the flexibility of bringing what I need a la carte.

KC6ETE likes this.