ad: Radclub22-1

Battery Booster!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

When they are in the newspaper, Maybe. ? o_O

2. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu HF rigs, particularly the FT-857D, the FT-450D and the FT-990 (I have all three), are notorious for having rough output signals when operating under 13.8 volts. This MFJ unit is perfect for delivering a full 13.8 when an AGM battery is getting up in years (Mine is driven by 3 solar panels and I've had it for 3 years now). I ordered one from DX engineering a few weeks ago. Demand has been high at MFJ, so they are back-ordered. Mine is supposed to ship in about a week. If you're wanting one, expect a delay.

K0UO and KC5MO like this.
  3. 2E0KFL

2E0KFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I do feel this sort of device is needed when out portable. I try and use my Icom 7300 but they are known not to like low voltage. But these are very expensive here in the UK. If someone could make a similar product half the price they would be selling like mad. But at over £200 here it's a big chunk of money. So I use a smaller mobile radio Alinco DX70TH and that has no issues on a car battery. But would love one. Is there any alternative to MFJ ones???

K0UO likes this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one of these second-hand just to see how well it performs mobile. In other words, I'm curious and having it in my hands is the way I'll learn more about it.

I take the advice of K0BG very seriously however, and I hope this won't end up on my table at a ham fest. Alan makes things so easy to understand... get a higher rating alternator and use thick 8AWG power wire if you are running the rig with 10 feet or more wire.

The voltage drop on 12 AWG cable at 10 feet is 0.78V on a 23A load!

If your rig is expecting 12.8 volts and your alternator is barely making it, and you use thin cable and or cruddy fuse holders... don't try and use a booster to compensate unless your engine is at least, idling.

Portable? Forget it. I just operated at 25w for three days (3 hours each day) made over 250 QSOS. Screw the tuner, use something resonant, lower the power a bit and save your juice.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  5. K4CPM

K4CPM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a bit harsh. If MFJ hadn't rescued all the businesses that it has, we would REALLY not have a source of gear. With as few hams that there are, do you think a big manufacturer would invest what would be required to do half of what MFJ does? In addition, It is definitely American. Besides, how many Hams really do have the disposable income for more expensive gear? And by the way, I can guarantee that Covid is not a hoax. My Son is a nurse who has been treating these poor devils since the start of this. It's real and people do die.
    Rich, K4CPM

AH7I and K0UO like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I admit/ I use one for my transceiver in my RV with two deep cycle batteries and on solar panels, sometimes my voltage drops below 12 volts first thing in the morning. I do a lot of dry camping, and it's saves me from firing up the generator and waking up the XYL!!
    Icom HF radios hate voltage that is lower than about 12 volts. Audio Distortion and all kinds of weird things start happening, I'm currently using a mfj and it does the job, my N8XJK booster went DOA.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    W1LWT likes this.
  7. KJ7ERO

KJ7ERO Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve got one and I have zero complaints. I did notice some noise on 40M like a weird rolling heterodyne. What I did Is rig the input of the booster for enable to my Yaesu radio transmit output. Then it’s only boosting on transmit. I use a 35AH deep cycle and it allows me to get the battery down to 11-11.5v while getting a solid 13.8 at the radio. Has a few programmable options. Honestly whoever designed it had some good ideas. It’s MFJ so your mileage may vary.

W1LWT likes this.
  8. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

the battery booster is a great item running portable and also at home on back up power Ive been useing this item for over 12 years no issues..matter of true fact over 30 years useing MFJ items never never a issue on anything .And when I did have a issue once that was nothing MFJ check it out and repaired the item a solder joint i could not find that broke.. so the false storys of MFj item is junk or other names is lies all lies......And by the way I had great luck with Harbor freight items also...and the replacement on items is great ...DONT BELIEVE THE CRY babys ..Beleive in the real people with truth storys of items worked and repaired and replaced....from true good companys..

KA0LDG likes this.
  9. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh? What?

I’m one of the “Cry Babies” that bought one of these brand new and it smoked. Not saying that they are all bad by any stretch of the imagination but mine did not work. For $199 I was expecting something that worked.

Just repaired a used MFJ CW code reader for someone that said the LED on the side didn’t work. I opened it up and there was a solder bridge across the LED. It must have been soldered by the same person that soldered the one in your equipment that broke. Solder joints aren’t supposed to break.

I have a few pieces or MFJ equipment that work great and they were a good value for the money for the purpose that they were designed for but that’s not always the norm when it comes to MFJ. MFJ has made this hobby in reach for many people based on their price point and you have to give them credit for that but it doesn’t take very long to find someone that’s had an issue with one of their products. Just a little reality check....

Curt
    WU3U

10. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

crikey @AD0AR a item that mfj would kill to make and market, i agree with the other poster mfj is absoulute junk, many years ago before i was wise to this i bought a mfj auto tuner brand new from my local ham shop, even in its sealed box when the shop owner shook it you could hear screws rattling around, so when he proceeded to open the box there was 2 odd bits of polysterene in the box, he then removed the cover and lo and behold 2 screws loose inside and 5 required tightening up, and that was brand new !!, like we say here in the UK Made From Junk say no more :)

AD0AR likes this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

"People who are frugal understand the value of a dollar and make informed and thoughtful decisions. People who are cheap try to spend as little money as possible." Frank Sonnenberg

AD0AR likes this.
  12. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

it works and like many MFJ items they work....