Battery Bank Mobile

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N5CWF, Aug 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5CWF

N5CWF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok looking to get inside all of the experts minds..... Rofl.
    I have a gang box in my pick up truck with 3 deep cycle batteries for a battery bank. Leads go inside cab to a 2000 watt inverter that i run devices for storm chasing and spotting. The system is isolated from vehicle charging system. I currently only have inverter ran to chasis ground. All radios, icom 7000 w/Texas Bug Catcher, cobra 29, Bearcat phase 1 and phase 2 scanner all run off of vehicle system.
    Question..... Should I run the negative termanal to chasis ground also? Ive read multiple articles and it seems that some say yes and others say no.
    Needing all of your experts thoughts on this idea.

2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unsure why you are not using an isolator to charge the battery bank from your alternator. (??)
    The added ground to frame, or better yet the engine block, will likely only be of any benefit when you start using your rig's charging system to replenish those expensive cells. It's working now so why bother?
    I charge my expensive 100ah AGM deep cycle in my RV using the rig's charging system through a battery isolator.
    BTW, you get what you pay for in auto-electric so a Cole Hersee isolator is what I run and it's oversized for headroom...

N5CWF likes this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as you don't connect to the vehicle electrical system, there's no benefit to be gained from connecting the negative lead of the battery to chassis ground. If you operate an HT using its internal batteries while you're inside a vehicle, do you connect to chassis ground?

There is also no harm to connecting to chassis ground. Depending on how the radios are configured, they may have the coax shield connected to negative power lead, and the coax shield might be connected to chassis ground at the antenna mount. So it's possible that an inadvertent and harmless connection already exists between chassis ground and the negative lead of the battery.

If this connection exists, no current will flow through it unless and until you connect to the vehicle's power system to complete a circuit.

N5CWF likes this.
  4. N5CWF

N5CWF Ham Member QRZ Page

The only reason why i didnt tie into the trucks electrical system is that its a newer truck and under warranty. I didnt want to risk voiding warranty. We all know they look for any reason to not pay if something went south.