ad: MultusSDR-1

Battening Down for Florence

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, very much so. One can just about survive on only beer. Not possible with just water. No calories. No vitamins, minerals. Heck, beer even possesses a small amount of protein. It is truly the universal "survival beverage." :p

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that was a no-no. The alcohol is a diuretic, which causes dehydration.

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

True enough. But to what degree? Consider that beer is mostly water. And consider that half the things we consume are diuretic. Tea is a diuretic, for instance. But it is also the beverage of choice for mountaineers, for example, who push themselves physically to a greater extent than certainly I ever have.

I used to be interested (well, still am) in this subject and read a great number of books on mountaineering, as in climbing in the Himalaya. I recall the account of one expedition on one of those 8000+ meter peaks that encountered a severe storm. One of the climbers barely survived, and returning to camp he consumed 17 cups of hot tea. Not water, tea, a diuretic.

Now, I'm also not advocating this in a completely serious way. But I would surely pick a barrel of beer over a barrel of pure water. And if I died from dehydration, well, at least I would die with a smile on my face. :p

4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

All,

I'm safely at my WV/VA location.

Much of the battening has been done down south. The water level has become very high in certain areas. The storm has already destroyed much of the battening.

This post regards Southport, Oak Island and Caswell Beach NC.

I've been working this since about 6:00 AM today (Thursday) after being up until about 1:00 AM last night. I haven't had a chance to check the ham nets.

As of about 1:00 PM this afternoon, our home/town/neighborhood is still mostly OK as it has been on the counter-clockwise side of eye. Only about 8-9 inches of rain so far. This will change over about the next hour when the backside of the eye slowly moves over our area and we will face another high tide. We are still looking at 20-30 inches of rain, on top the the 6-7 foot surge at high tide and the 10-25 foot waves above them..

I've gotten multiple texts, e-mails, and phone calls from friends and relatives since yesterday. The local winds have dropped to about 80 mph, but the rain is historic. There is still the big concern over storm surge during this evening's (Friday's) high tide. We expect to have heavy rain and high winds for quite a few more hours.

Other than that, life is good.

Gotta go.
    Ken/Knute

N0TZU and N2EY like this.
  5. KK5JY

The question is the same one you run into with consuming salt water. Ocean water is just ever so slightly to saline too drink, but there are lower salt percentages that you can drink without dehydration, and many beverages exploit this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Stay safe, and good luck to you and yours.

7. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to check out the nets listed in the other thread tonight. See what is actually going on.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Thanks Ken.

Keep us updated and stay safe.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Incidently, in the case of dehydration, a simple IV drip transfusion can quickly replenish any lost fluids.

images.jpg

:p

W0IS, N2EY and W4ZD like this.
  10. KK5JY

Okay, you are going to have to post a link to that product, because I know a lot of people who would love to get their hands on a supply thereof. :eek:

KC8VWM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.