ad: K6IOK-1

Battening Down for Florence

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a lot of us preparing at this moment for the Hurricane that *may* impact many areas, including mine.
    So I saved some 2 liter soda bottles, filled them with (tap) water. About 5 of them. I will fill the bathtub tomorrow for non-potable usage. Groceries? check. Batteries? check. Fill up truck. check. Secure loose outdoor items--trash cans, chairs, anything stored outside. Generator fuel and Stabil. check. Even lantern fuel.

Years ago, when I bought the house, there was the stub of a Rohm 25 tower that was used for a TV antenna. I simply added to it. It was not properly installed, and it was one of those projects for "one of these days". It had merely been stuck in the ground and buried by the previous owner. I became concerned that the bottom would be rotten out, so I had a contractor dig it out and inspect it, then install concrete. Naturally, I was worried about the coming storm since 20 feet had been added some years ago (post Hugo). Luckily, the base was in good shape, so he concreted the base in. The base of the tower already has a kind of a "foot" like an "L" that extended outward. I couldn't really disassemble it and start from scratch, so this was the next best thing. Now the tower is solidly in the ground, has "weep" holes at the bottom to let water out, and is not going anywhere. It would take a 110 MPH wind to take it out. Next is a good paint job. I know that if a tower is determined, or Mother Nature is determined to take it out, there's nothing you can do. All I could was the best I could to keep the tower safe from the storm.

Good luck to all of us under the threat from this storm!

K9ASE likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Take out plenty of cash in case the 'plastic' systems are down.

NL7W, NK2U, W5WN and 5 others like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

And not all in twenties. Unless you want to pat $20 for everything. ;)

K4PIH, NL7W, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

After living for 28 days with no public elect power after Charlie, there are some things that aren't so obvious until you experience them.

My motor homes generator provided rationed elect power to mine and my neighbors freezers/refrigerators. fuel became an issue.

Do you have a manual can opener,.... sounds kinda silly , but,.....

Get many cans of "fix-a-flat".... the nails from torn off roof shingles will be on the roads for months. Don't forget a cheap compressor for tires too.

good luck

KK4CUL, NL7W, NK2U and 6 others like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you (the OP) have a good handle on what you will want to have available should utilities go down for a while.

This kind of thing is one place where bottled water really pays for itself. Tap water may or may not keep, since it's not designed to be stored, just consumed. Tap water out here isn't great even when "fresh," and I wouldn't dare drink it after storage in a non-sterile container. The one thing about bottled water from a reputable source is that it will keep for weeks or months if needed and stored properly.

There are a lot of things a healthy human can survive without, even for extended periods of time. Clean water is not on that list.

KU4X likes this.
  6. KN4CQB

KN4CQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

tap water can be stored in strong plastic bottles (not milk bottles). A few drops of bleach will kill germs but not the taste - it can also be boiled. You will need more water than you think - pets, toilets, clean up etc. Also a camp stove/lantern with enough small propane tanks. If you have a gas grill make sure you have enough propane. I was right in the eye of hurricane Hugo in 89 and don't want to be caught without again.

After 3 days my FIL showed up with a bag of ice - I still remember the taste of that cold Coke. We were without power for 4 days but I have friends who went over 3 weeks.

KK4CUL and KK5JY like this.
  7. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And if you are going to fill a bathtub, or deepsink with water, caulk the drain, or it will slowly seep away. You can also fill a washing machine with water.

NL7W and KK5JY like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

THAT! Seems like everybody around here got flats, including me. And the tire place wasn't open for business!

N1EN, NL7W and ND6M like this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's too late to buy a liner designed for that purpose, but at my blog, I explain how you can use garbage bags to store potable water in the bathtub:

http://onetuberadio.com/2015/09/10/emergency-water-storage-in-your-bathtub/

One item you might consider adding is a solar shower. If you still have errands to run, you can probably still track one down at WalMart or an outdoor store.

Good luck and stay safe!

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don’t overlook the hot water heater.

KY5U, N2EY, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.