*BATCH* Cleaning of Vacuum Tubes? Methods??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB2GCR, Aug 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did your silverware taste ok after that ?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A little dusty.

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

After I washed my tubes in the silverware basket, the silverware tasted like fila mint.

After I washed my 807s in the silverware basket, the silverware tasted like cap.

After I washed my rectifier tubes in the silverware basket, I remembered we didn't have a dishwasher...

4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you've come to a crossroads, in that the markings nearly always come off, at least in my experience. If you want to save them, perhaps a pair of rubber gloves and a sharpie (?). clean enough with a paper towel, mark with the sharpie. Wash in the DW using some colanders or something similar.

Mike

5. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not going to handle a thousand smelly, moused tubes, one at a time... so that idea is out.

Looks like I'll have to cull through the batches and pull out the "tubes of interest" and mark them.

As far as the dishwasher, I've got so many that this is not going to be a "silverware basket" job.
    Then the problem becomes how to hold them and keep them from being shot all over the insides
    of the dishwasher by the water jets...

Those who suggested the dishwasher - water ONLY? Or some detergent?

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are going to use a dishwasher, I definitely suggest water only. Adding anything will almost certainly add to the removal of the markings on the tubes.

Glen, K9STH

7. KA9JLM

I wonder if a cat would lick them clean ?

They are attracted to the smell.

My wife got mad when I cleaned a carburetor in the dishwasher. She did not like me putting it together on the kitchen table either. :oops:

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah man! My wife would get mad if I cleaned a bunch of tubes covered in mouse effluvia in the dishwasher.

Did the carb come clean at least to make the anguish worth it?:p

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. KA9JLM

Sure did. The camisole carburetor cleaner did a great job.

Did you know that stuff leaves a bad taste in your mouth ?

It smells great and works good. :) Even the water pump in the dishwasher worked better.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    AC8UN and KD2ACO like this.