ad: elecraft

Basic iMac connectivity with TS-590SG

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W0MPM, Jul 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0MPM

W0MPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to transition from PC to Mac (iMac 27 late 2015). The 590SG is currently talking nicely with an old HP laptop Win7 and DXLabs via USB.

I've installed RUMlogNG and tried to set it up. Have moved the USB from the HP to the iMac but I see nothing.

I'm sure there is some basic thing needed that I have not done.

Appreciate guidance.

John
    W0MPM

2. DL2RUM

DL2RUM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W0MPM

Thanks. Followed the link you provided. Selected the dmg and it went to my 'Downloads'.

In 'Downloads' clicked the dmg and got the new window with several files. Dragged "Silicon Labs VCP Drive.pkg" to the 'Apps' folder.

Clicked the "... pkg" and followed the prompts. It completed.

I now belatedly saw the Sil Labs icon on the desktop and 'ejected' it. Everything disappeared except the "Silicon ... Driver.pkg" which is still in the Apps folder.

Having done the above I've been playing with settings in RUMlog preferences TX but nothing happening yet.

John

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For starters, when you are doing the install from the .pkg file, your TS590SG must be completely disconnected from the Mac. Make sure the USB cable is physically disconnected from the Mac or else the driver won't install correctly.

Second, you need to do a reboot after running the install. Make sure the 590SG is still unplugged from the Mac.

Third, after the reboot you may need to authorize the driver to be loaded by going to the System Preferences, Privacy & Security Pane, look at the first page and there may be a message to authorize it to run. Of course, say yes.

Only after all of that is done should you connect your rig.

Then, you need to make sure that your rig is setup to allow CAT over the USB cable. You need to also note the baud rate of the connection over the USB so that it can be set in RUMlogNG.

On a separate note, PKG files do not belong in the Applications folder. They can be run straight from the DMG when you download and open it. Once you've run it and everything is installed correctly, simply delete it and the DMG file.

5. W0MPM

Thanks. I will try to start from scratch.

The 590SG currently works correctly via USB into an old HP laptop running Win7. Software is DXlabs Commander. The settings are 115200 bps 8 data parity None 1 stop bit DTR off RTS on. The 590SG menu 68 is standard at 115200.

Removed all USB from the iMac and again installed the Siltronix driver this time as explained.

Restarted the iMac.

Went to Apple System Preferences, Security & Privacy and see nothing about the driver install.

Plug in the USB from the 590SG

Start RUMlog. RUMlog preferences, TX1, Transceiver check Use CAT Manufactuer Kenwood, Type TS-590SG Interface Serial PTT do not use. Transceiver specific default (shouldn't matter for now ??) CAT: Serial port Bluetooth-Incoming-Port Baud rate 115200 stop bits 1 parity none power up lines RTS, all others unchecked.

In the log window the band shows the last QSO frequency.

So I'm stumped.

6. ZL1ON

ZL1ON Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the port you should choose would be something like this:
    /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
    and not the Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

7. W0MPM

I think that looks pertinent. But the only available selections are 'Not used' or 'Bluetooth-Incoming-Port'. And only the drop-down menu items can be selected. Can't type anything in.

I found this thread and wonder if the driver is really installed? How would I know?

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/os-x-el-capitan-and-unsigned-drivers.522069/#post-3839623

8. DL2RUM

When you don't see it, the driver is not installed!

M0DPX likes this.
  9. W0MPM

So to be completely unambiguous in the screen shot below of the RUMlog, Prefences, TX1, section CAT: Serial port, 'Serial port:' where 'Bluetooth-Incoming-Por displayed; one should see a drop-down menu item choice something like 'SLB-USB' if the driver loaded successfully. Since I don't see like that then the discussions about problems installing drivers on a couple of other threads currently active are where I need to be right now.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 15.58.07.png

10. DL2RUM

Do not use Power up lines options unless you are knowing what you are doing! These are required to power some kinds of Icom CI-V interfaces. When using classic serial ports, a set option will disable the flow control and/or the data exchange.
    Use the Flow Control instead.