Base Station VHF/UHF Rigs

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC8GRP, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending where it lands price wise, skip all the complicated switching arrangements, and just run more than one of them, have one each dedicated to a band, at least for 6&2. By doing that you gain the ability to be on both, or multiple bands at the same time. The usefulness of being able to do that is hard to overstate. Don't know if the USB connection in the Sentry would allow more than one physical radio per computer or not, USB devices (and/or USB connected software) can be finicky about that kind of thing. Being restricted to one radio per computer would certainly add cost. That was one of the key compelling reasons I went with the Ethernet connected OpenHPSDR gear. Makes it a piece of cake to connect multiple radios to just one computer. Because of that I can and do run the 3 OpenHPSDR radios plus a Flex 5K all on a single computer that cost about $1000 in total including 2 nice 25" wide-screen monitors.

Looks like the 10W input "mid sized" bricks for the 50-432 bands run around $350-400 new, of course less than that used. But you would end up with around 150W on 6M, around 160 on 2M, 120W on 1.25M, and 100W on 70cm. All of which are a bit higher than what the typical knobbed DC-daylight radio can do.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Might all be very true, but I suspect this particular SDR rig runs less than 10W...possibly a lot less. I didn't see an output power spec on the data sheet (maybe I missed it) but my guess was it's 1W or less.

3. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

The specs on the Sentry webpage says 10W. And looking at the datasheet for the NXP BLP10H610 device it also specs 10W "...from HF to 1400 MHz."

We'll just have to wait and see what the Sentry ultimately is, and just how well it performs once in the field . No matter what though, it is intriguing..

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't notice the 10W rating first time I looked at that page. Geesh, if it really does 10W output on all bands including 902 and 1296 MHz (at the antenna connector, post filtering) that is impressive and I'd have put that in very large, bold text. That is useful power for those bands, given a good antenna system.

I'd still want to know if it provides band data output for switching relays and such, so external amps and antenna relays can be easily switched via a computer command function. To me that would be very important, as nobody has an antenna that covers all those bands, and probably "most" would want to use external amplifiers as well. If that all had to be accomplished manually, that's quite a lot to accomplish especially for rover stations in VHF-UHF contests, where I could see this product as having a major impact.

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Chris, thank you. I've long wondered about that. I had the impression from what I'd heard that there wouldn't be any bandpass or band reject filters in the front end of any wideband SDR.

Are these bandpass filters specific to the amateur bands? Are they switched in and out on a band-by-band basis?

6. G4HYG

G4HYG Ham Member QRZ Page

The bandpass filters are switched on a band by band basis. It would be very easy at this stage to add an accessory socket to the design to indicate what bandpass filter is switched in. This could be used to switch linear amplifiers as suggested.

The wideband SDR receivers using hgh speed ADC don't need any bandpass filtering in theory. In practice some RF filtering helps to reduce the amount of RF hitting the ADC especially if large wideband HF antennas are used. We may be using advanced digital techniques but the basics of good RF engineering don't change.

It's worth noting that our existing SDR-4+ HF receiver has relay switched bandpass filtering, over power protection and an isolation transformer to isolate the radio and computer from the HF antenna. We sell more receivers to professional customers than radio amateurs especially as they tend to run them 24/7 in all weathers.

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

7. W1PDG

W1PDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Selling my ft-736r if anyone is interested. Only has 2m and 70 cm in it now but will take two more band modules.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are currently no 222 MHz SSB rigs being sold. The FT736R really was the only multiband radio that did that. ICOM did make a 220 MHZ monoband all mode radio for a while. I recently saw the whole ICOM set - 6, 2, 220 and 432 rigs together for sale. I was sorely tempted to buy them, and will probably be sorry I didn't eventually.

Yaesu has a new rig, the FT991, coming out in a few weeks. It looks interesting. It seems to be lacking any provision for crossband satellite operation, though. The IC9100 has that, and so does the TS2000. Both the ICOM and Kenwood have available 1.2 GHz modules for them, too.

222, 902, and other less common bands are going to require transverters. Elecraft makes a nice line of matching transverters that mate with their radios, or about any HF rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.