Base station commerical freq V-U antenna w/ ground plane adapter

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N2NJO, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2NJO

N2NJO Ham Member QRZ Page

This purpose is NOT for 2m/440m. It's for 155-160 & 455-460 MHz

I have a Diamond X50NA base station antenna, but there is a problem with the female N connector. I don't see a way to remove/replace the fitting. Visually it appears ok, but even after changing fittings on the feedline (N) contact is not good. RLB scans vary and it wasn't acceptable to me. I have to assume the center receptacle is not forward enough (ruling out the name N connectors)

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement and this combo seem to be the best choice (that I have found so far);
    https://baofengtech.com/product/nagoya-nmo-200c/
    https://baofengtech.com/product/nagoya-gpk-01/

I did find this review;
    https://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_NMO200.php

My question was, what I don't like is the (what I call) outdated use of a SO239 instead of a 'N' connector. I realize at VHF, it's not a big deal, UHF is another matter. I look around for other choices and I only found the Tram, a 4 element wimpy design (to say the least). The review did mention the ground plane being important.

Between the mini Tram and the Nagoya, input of both?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My preference for this would be something more robust with proven performance in the 155 and 455 MHz areas, like the Hustler G6-270R.

I've installed four or five of these over the years and still have one, so I just swept it to check its response: It's quite "flat" to 160 MHz and also to 470 MHz, so its reception in those ranges should be excellent. That's without any attempt to "re-tune" it (which would be difficult since the elements are sealed in a solid fibreglas radome). It's strong and has its own radials as part of the antenna so nothing needs to be added. It does use an N connector.

These seem to survive very windy (crappy WX) mountaintop installations; I've never had one fail, yet (been maybe 15 years or so). As such, surely mechanically stronger than the Comets, Diamonds, Trams, etc.

3. N2NJO

N2NJO Ham Member QRZ Page

That model is for 2m & 70cm, not for the commercial bands, 10 & 15 MHz (respectively) higher in center frequency.
    Also, it's $100 more than what I spent for what I already have that turned out to be the wrong antenna sent to me from Ham Radio Supply which was $40 more than what I received, but never realized it until now. :rolleyes: :mad:

But, that is another story.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I already explained that I have one, and swept its response using a VNA to way above both bands and it's very good there. SWR at 155 and 455 MHz <2:1; actually, at 455 MHz it's <1.5:1. Measurements made with the antenna on a tripod 6' above ground with a 3' long jumper coax from antenna base to VNA.

When it can match that well at those frequencies, it will receive well there.

Cost is another issue, but the Hustler is very well made, and made in U.S., so I favor it.