ad: chuckmartin

Barry Shelley, N1VXY, to Become ARRL Interim CEO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RAF, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Barry was chosen because he was a long time ARRL staffer, and was in the position before. He is a known quantity at HQ. That's pretty much the most important thing right now.

His on-air activity matters little because hopefully he won't be there long. He's just there to ensure that the League has someone to manage the staff and that things continue to get done. He will also be working closely with the Board via the Executive Committee.

The EC membership is basically five elected directors plus the President, 1st VP and the CEO. They are the Board between the Board meetings.

W4POT, WJ4U, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Ria.

Wishing you the best!

Chip W1YW

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Quantity or entity?

I understand why he was chosen and the definition of interim.

If one is never on the air, then there is no "on-air activity." His lack of "on-air activity" does matter to members who care. It's a measure of one's active interest in amateur radio. And a HICO (ham in call sign only) working at that level in Hq is rightfully viewed with a jaundiced eye by membership who care.

4. K7RAN

K7RAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what we need to do is dig up Wayne Green W2NSD/1 and make him ARRL CEO. He wanted the job his whole life, so I know that he will appreciate the posthumous appointment. Needless to say, Mr. Green has been more active on the bands in death than the most recent ARRL CEO has while still metabolizing oxygen.

WB9YTG likes this.
  5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Barry Shelly’s role for years was as CFO. That’s his area of expertise. As interim CEO, he’s again the top administrator at the ARRL.

It sounds as though there was a need to fill that position quickly, so he would be the logical candidate given his thorough familiarity with both the duties and the organization.

I agree that it would be nice for him to have 10k+ QRZ lookups and WAC, but neither of those would help with his day to day responsibilities.

It’s the BoD that’s calling the shots in Newington and the CEO who executes their directives. As all the Directors are active ops, it seems that the structure is sound.

6. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There a lot of those that collect a pay check from the ARRL.

7. N1BCG

They can’t operate during business hours. In fact, the only staffer with an exception is Joe Carcia, W1AW Manager. Everyone else has to be completely off the clock before getting on the air. They’re ultra-strict about that for good reason.

WJ4U and N2RJ like this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't operate when I am teaching 4th grade either. They’re ultra-strict about that for good reason. Most hams when they are at work, work. So what is your point as the ARRL employees are off work 128 of the 168 hours a week?

W4POT likes this.
  9. N1BCG

It’s not illegal for teachers to operate on amateur radio while on the clock, but it is illegal for paid ARRL staffers to operate.

True, that leaves available a lot of non-work hours, but just because someone doesn’t immerse themselves in a work-related hobby after work doesn’t make them less affective at their job. Barry’s role as CFO had little connection to amateur radio so my question is why he needs to become an active ham while temporarily filling in as CEO.

I did very little amateur radio operating while working in radio full time. By the end of the day I was happy to do something else.

10. N2RJ

Quantity. It’s a figure of speech.

If you’re evaluating the ARRL based on someone who is just there as a fill-in for a few months then I wouldn’t say that your evaluation is fair. The CEO’s job is primarily to manage staff. As long as the interim can do that effectively the rest doesn’t matter.

11. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

...but they could become less unhappy...which would be an improvement!

WN1MB and KE0GXN like this.
  12. N2RJ

There is an exception in part 97 for teachers.

And the prohibition is misunderstood. It’s not that you can’t operate during working hours. It’s that you can’t be paid to operate.

If you take a break and get on the local repeater that’s fine.

If you use your HT to talk to another colleague for a work related function that is prohibited. If you use your radio to talk to a colleague for non work related purposes that is not prohibited.

It also used to be that teachers could not legally use amateur radio in the classroom as part of the educational curriculum because they were being paid to do that. There was an exception written in for them, 97.113(a)(3)(iii) is it. Other exceptions are the station manager of W1AW (not explicitly, but the exception was written to allow that), astronauts and time limited emergency drills.

BTW I operated W1AW last week in between Board committee meetings but as I accept no compensation for my work as a Director, I am in the clear.

W1TRY and W1YW like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We've already been through this with Barry just over a year ago. Barry did a great job. I am certain he is doing the board a favor.

The point is: were there other qualified candidates who could have served as 'Interim'? Those who are radio-active?

And after this decision, and after erasing Howard from reality (that's how it looks), why would ANY of those folks WANT the CEO job? The Board may look at this as the CEO candidates'
    having the 'hard sell' to the board--try looking at it from the prospective candidate's position. His or her's family position. The board may have poisoned the opportunity.

THOSE are the issues, IMO.

Make...Nice..To...Howard.

Whether it was easy to find a new CEO on Jan 15th has most probably changed on Jan 19th.

IMO.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  14. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

A “Wayne Green” CEO/manager? That would shake things up. Hams might start reading QST again.

I miss Wayne’s “free wheeling” editorials.

K8XG likes this.
  15. N1BCG

^^ This.

These threads suggest that there's a significant difference between what the CEO's envisioned role is and what it actually is. Some believe you'd sit in the ultimate ham shack all day making contacts and forging the destiny of amateur radio. In reality, an active op would likely be surprised by the overwhelming administrative duties. Is that what a Wayne Greene or any of us would want?

Perhaps it's time for a "How does the ARRL operate and how do the pieces fit together?" expose. This would surely get everyone's expectation levels in check, but also, would inspire thought in a direction based on the real situation.