ad: UR5CDX-1

Barrel Plug

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N5YPJ, Jun 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Been a while since I have bought parts. Looking for 2.1MM barrel Plugs to make a few power cables for shack accessories and get rid of a few wall wart power supplies. I'm in the boonies and don't drive anymore, can anyone provide me with a few names where one migh find barrel plugs? The searches I've made show pigtails and connectors on each end like for cameras.

Thanks for your time. Have a nice day.

Richard

2. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Or try Amazon or ebay. On the latter I found you can purchase
    several for $6 including shipping.

4. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful when buying the super-low-cost plugs from eBay or Amazon. They often use low-temperature plastic insulators which melt when you try to solder wires to the terminals. In addition, some of the cheap ones have terminals that are plated with some kind of "virtually solder-proof" coating that requires ridiculous amounts of heat before the solder will adhere to them (in which case, the plastic insulators melt). Been there, done that, said nasty words that my mommy would not have approved of.

KD1JT, KB0MNM, N2ZD and 2 others like this.
  5. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I miss our Radio Shack store!
    Never thought I would say it but have now several times.

K6CLS likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not a month goes by I don't miss RS for some reason or another. Sure, they had idiot salespeople with utterly zero technical knowledge - but I only used those folks to take my money anyway - never needed their "help".

Dave
    W7UUU

N5YPJ likes this.
  7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't buy cheap junk. Switchcraft ® for the win.

9. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Powerwerx. Here's a sample of what I found with that connector.
    https://powerwerx.com/21mm-straight-coaxial-powerpole-adapter
    https://powerwerx.com/21mm-angle-coaxial-powerpole-adapter
    https://powerwerx.com/21mm-coaxial-socket-powerpole-adapter
    https://powerwerx.com/dual-conductor-custom-cable

They have pre-made cables and they'll make them to order for you. This includes bare wire on one end of your cable if you like. The list I gave is not complete, it looks like they have more power supplies and cables with 2.1mm barrel connectors since they use this for many of their LiFePO4 batteries and chargers. I didn't see just the connector listed but if you want just the connector then maybe you can call them to see if they sell that as an item not already soldered to something.

I missed them at first, then I learned of other stores that had better products and more informed staff. "Radio Shack, you have questions, we have cell phones."

There's Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Target, Guitar Center, and a half dozen or so small hardware stores and commercial radio supply shops in my area, from which to choose from if I'm looking for a brick and mortar store to pick up most every electronic odd bit. Cell phones and such can be had from stores run by major carriers like AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular, Sprint, and T-Mobile. For things more unique to Amateur radio there are websites like Ham Radio Outlet and Powerwerx.

You said you can't or won't drive but that doesn't matter, it seems most or all the places I listed above will deliver.

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Based upon your bio, AC0GT seems to have a good idea for you in purchasing the custom cable. You may find that some accessories will take the larger 3.5 MM coaxial part. If you put *custom cables together with 'european-style' barrier ( terminal ) blocks, only a stripper and screwdriver would be needed- no soldering required. There are some that have large 'barrels' for 'daisy-chaining' your power distribution. These are generally less expensive than the Anderson / West Mountain Radio / Powerwerx for distribution, yet you should include at least one fuse.