BAOFENG UV5RA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KR6AUL, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K1RPR

K1RPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up, i decided to get the UV5R and deal with less aggravation..... I looked for the rev A software and i couldn't find it anywhere Sorry K1RPR - Bob

2. KA2GIW

KA2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone else had this problem?

After programing my new UV-5RA (Firmware 297) with Chirp, all of my Backlight stopped operating.

First thing that happened after the first upload was that the unit locked up. I was able to redo the upload and everything started working again accept the Blue and Purple Back-lights.

As I continued to add Freq's and features, I finally lost the Orange Backlight too.

Any ideas? I wish there was a true reset to factory option that clears everything but I have not been able to find anything to do that. The Menu 40 Command does not reset every little bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to have to return the phone.
    And if I do return it, should I get another A or go for a different version?
    Marc
    KA2GIW

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not use the regular Baofeng software instead of Chirp?

4. N7KOB

N7KOB Ham Member QRZ Page

here's a link to the software

Long story short, I picked up a UV5R last year, love it because it works well, and I'm not worried about losing it, or breaking it....well, last week, it broke. I ordered a new one from Amazon, but decided to go with the UV-5RA...Chirp worked well out of the box with the driver from wouxun.us (win7 driver). However, I could NOT get my UV-5R software to connect.

You may want both Chirp and UV5R software, here's why, chirp makes it easy to import a csv file of repeater or other frequency info into your HT, however, it does't give you control over the other settings like voice prompt and beep, both of which I find entirely annoying.

After a fair bit of research, I found this:
    http://powerphone.com.cn/en/khfw.asp?1 <----this appears to be Baofengs website and has a new software package that works with the UV-5RA. No problems connecting. Anyway, it worked for me. Download and install the UV_5R_NEW_OLD package.

Hope this saves others some time.

73's
    Dave N7KOB

5. KK4NWA

KK4NWA Guest

I've programmed my Baofeng UV5 and it works great. Here are some tips after I have programmed my own Baofeng and a neighbors QuangSheng:

1. Push the Usb adapter in with the palm of your hand as far as it can go. Sometime's that's the only problem.
    2. Make sure the driver is installed off the disk and computer rebooted.
    3. Go to "Control Panel" -> "Device Manager" -> "Ports (COM and LPT) - Your installed usb/radio cord should be displayed if plugged in. Sometimes Windows autoinstalls the COM port higher than a port accessible to the programming software (You're on COM5 port and the program only displays from COM1-COM4, etc.) If the port is lacking a driver, reinstall or stall the other drivers and repeat #2-3.
    4. If the COM port is 5 or above, go to the properties/port settings/advanced and set the port from COM1-COM4.

The radio should be accessible to ChineseWare/CHIRP. Make sure the radio is in VFO mode. D/L from the phone first, enter data, then U/L it. Sometimes there are options you can change (My Baofeng shows repeater locations in memory on top display, freq for bottom). Hope this helps!

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent my manual program guide, hope it helps.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KK4PVP

KK4PVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 8

"I have had trouble with W 8. When I tried to link my HP wireless printer to my HP laptop, there was no way to get it to work. I called HP and they told me to call W 8. Got the same msg from them...call HP. Sofar no resolution."

8. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

After I looked it up on-line, manual programming was easy as pie. Got all 18 repeaters within 25 miles of me programmed within 20 min.

9. JASPER7821

JASPER7821 QRZ Member

I just got my technicians last week and bought this radio. It has the version BFB297.
    I cannot get it to connect to the computer with the VIP CD it came with and also the CHIRP software.
    I've tried with my windows XP, windows 7, and also my MacBook.
    I have the drivers installed correctly
    It keeps getting error messages like the radio is not communicating with the software.
    It came with the USB cable included and its connecting firmly.
    I've been trying for two days now.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.