Baofeng UV-5RTP doesn’t receive

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by G5JIM, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G5JIM

G5JIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

So I bought this Baofeng radio just over 3 months ago and now have it connected up to an X30 collinear in my loft. It seems to TX okay, but I’m having issues with RX.

Having conducted a google search yesterday I concluded that it must be the firmware issue where if the key beep is switched off the radio won’t RX, however switching it on had no affect, so I did a factory reset, this worked briefly, but I have the same issue now having never switched off the beep, has anyone got any experience or is this faulty?

I know that it should be receiving, because if I press menu it receives until the menu goes off, and if I hold down mon it receives.

Thanks!

2. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you'd better spend another $20 and trash the first one before you begin tearing your hair out trying to fix it. Of course I am assuming it's the radio and not a cable or connector, etc. Likely assumption I hope.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What beep to you speak of ?

Make sure Receive Tone is turned Off.

4. G5JIM

Thanks for the replies, the beep is the key beep, and I’ve just checked, receive CTCSS is off.

5. G5JIM

I unplugged my loft antenna (an X30) earlier and attached the rubber ducky and it picked up fine where with the loft antenna it was having the issue. Could it be that the radio is being desensitised?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be.

Those radios work best with the antenna they come with. The front end is wide open.

Is your SWR good ?

7. G5JIM

I’m not sure on the SWR, I’ll have to borrow an SWR meter from my club. I’m thinking of trying a TYT UV8000E as they are meant to have a much better front end. I’m trying to stick with cheap as I’m trying to save for a decent HF rig.