Baofeng UV-5R, Receive Fine from Repeater, But Transmission is Low Volume

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KD9DXZ, Jun 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD9DXZ

KD9DXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like problem is solved. Person from my club recommended I try a different repeater and I was able to communicate clearly with another Ham, both transmit and receive. This repeater is also about 10 miles away but is 70cm and the antenna is on a taller building. Next step is to test my 2 HT's (Baofeng UV/5R) with the repeater across the Neighborhood Watch, 4 x 5 block, area. I did try covering that area with simplex also. Simplex works straight across the "4" but not straight across the "5." The "4" is also less "house-dense," across blocks, than the "5" which is down a block. I'm hoping to use repeater not only across the "4's" and "5's", but also the 2 diagonals across the area. Should work. Thanks for everybody's help.

Gus KD9DXZ

2. ZL1VSF

ZL1VSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you are at least on the road to some sort of recovery. Hope it turns out well for you...

Al (ZL1VSF)

3. ZL1VSF

I think I somehow doubled up here - Deleted this post...

4. KD9DXZ

So the Baofeng UV/5R with the new Diamond antenna, hitting that different, recommended repeater worked great! Tests throughout the 4x5 block area were loud and clear including an initial test with one of the HT's inside a house. What's interesting is when I tried the recommended repeater with the original Baofeng antenna, it seems to work the same as the Diamond. So, the Baofeng out of the box just needed that stronger repeater instead of the other two repeaters. I still learned a lot through this experience. Thanks again for your help.

Gus KD9DXZ

5. ZL1VSF

Looks like it doesn't it,,

I have never really been tempted to update the antenna on either of my UV-5R's (or any of my HT's now that I mention it), as I think in most cases, it's just not warranted. Although higher gain antennas will yield a bit more in receive and transmit distance ability, it's my belief that if you are that marginal that you think you need more gain on an HT, then you are not really going to cure your woes with a higher gain antenna on a hand held radio. If distance is what is causing the inability to make contact, then that distance is the real enemy, not your antenna. A better antenna may help a bit but in my opinion, not that much... Handheld's have their pro's and their cons... More often than not, distance (or the lack of it) is one of the "con's"... Having said that, I have replaced one of my UV-5R's antenna with an Icom dual band unit, mostly because that particular Baofeng antenna is notorious for giving trouble sooner or later, breaking internally and becoming intermittent or failing outright.. It's prevention rather than cure in my case... The other Baofeng antenna seems to be much better made and is a lot longer and appears to have just a smidgen more gain, but it makes no noticeable difference in ability...

Anyway, I am so glad you got things worked out, and if you are like me, you will probably know a bit more about your UV-5R now...

Al (ZL1VSF)...

6. KD9DXZ

Yes, a lot more. Thanks for the advice.

Gus KD9DXZ

7. KG7OTL

KG7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever try an external mic? My 5r's have the low audio problem but, are much improved by using a speaker mic.

8. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gus; I assume you will be using these radios as part of a Neighborhood watch activity? Will all persons using these radios be licensed radio amateurs holding the proper grade "ticket" ? Just asking. Thanks for your interest in your community and our hobby.73, Bunky, K4EJQ

9. W9CLL

W9CLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Throw that one away and get a new one.

10. KM4THF

KM4THF Ham Member QRZ Page

can you please Clarify: