Baofeng UV-5R, Receive Fine from Repeater, But Transmission is Low Volume

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KD9DXZ, Jun 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9DXZ

KD9DXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I actually bought 2 of these Baofeng UV-5R's. Both seem to have the same problem. I was able to try talking different distances from the microphone using both of my Baofengs on the repeater. Nothing. Then I realized I only transmitted successfully (though varying low volume) that one time when I first moved the radio around to receive somebody else. So I might have 2 problems, antenna AND microphone. Might as well improve the reception first... Thanks again

2. KD9DXZ

Wow. You did that with the Diamond Antenna Monoband HT Antennas RH205? My main need is for a small portable radio and will definitely use simplex from time to time. Simplex tested great between the 2 Baofeng UV-5R's but didn't test beyond line of sight. No transmission problems with simplex. Thanks

3. KD9DXZ

4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

make sure that you study the www.miklor.com web site, this site has most of the answers related to the chinese handhelds of most manufacturers.

there has been alot of discussion on the groups indicating the microphone "holes" in these radios being either partially or full obstructed. people were opening the radios (instructions on the miklor site) and opening these holes, and their audio greatly improving. also as has been said, the "wide"/"narrow" thing has bade a huge difference in some cases

KD8OSD and KG7OTL like this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Who was on the mountain peak / U or him ?
    I worked northern Ohio, near Cleveland, from downtown Detroit (100 miles) on 2M SSB with 10W and a Squalo loop antenna. He had 25 W and a Ringo anger antenna on his garage roof.
    BUT I was on the roof of a 430 ft building :D

6. N9BH

N9BH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two UV-5Rs and both have good transmit audio. However I have read that sometimes the small hole for the microphone is sometimes blocked. If so and you try to clear it, be very careful to not damage the microphone behind it. I have also read that some people simply do not speak close enough to the microphone. It is supposedly designed as a commercial radio designed to not be as sensitive to surrounding noise, so you have to get a little closer to the mic.

7. M3ONL

M3ONL Ham Member QRZ Page

You could remove front cover and re-drill the mic hole so it's a little bigger, could solve the problem...

KD8OSD likes this.
  8. W3ECC

W3ECC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I programmed my UV-5R via CHIRP, the software insisted on making my HT narrow-band even though I specified wide-band during set-up. Switching to the Chinese programming software worked fine for me and now I reach our club repeater with ease (20 miles away) especially when using my home-brew quad. We here in Montrose PA are not bothered by a surplus of strong signals. Bill KC3EWW Montrose, PA

9. KD9DXZ

Thank you for all the suggestions regarding expanding the mic hole. I'll do that after installing the Diamond antenna's.

10. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am very sure that any Bo-Fang radio made in the last year has proper TX audio. And has correct mic alignment. Early versions have TX audio issues.