Baofeng UV-5R, Receive Fine from Repeater, But Transmission is Low Volume

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KD9DXZ, Jun 9, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD9DXZ

KD9DXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng UV-5R receive fine from Repeater, but requests for Test at Repeater don't seem to be heard or best case, one person said my request was low volume. LED is red when PTT is pressed, turns greed when "tail" is heard. Same thing when testing 2 Baofeng UV-5R hitting Repeater but no transmissions are heard at all.

What does the red LED mean? Any ideas what is wrong? Thank you

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The red LED means it's transmitting, but not necessarily it can be heard.

Make sure you're in WFM mode and not NFM, or you'll have half the normal deviation and will sound undermodulated.

The Baofeng isn't so great, I have one and it's been on the shelf about a year since my Yaesu-Vertex works a lot better.:eek:

I was an 'early adopter' of Baofeng, but have been pretty disappointed. Nearly useless here in L.A. where we have a hundred mountaintop and extremely strong repeaters very closeby. It overloads pretty badly from many of those. Probably better suited for less congested environments.

3. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Baofengs have got many new hams on the air.

The best thing that can be done to improve the performance is to get a Nagoya 771 or equivalent antenna.

For any of those looking to buy a new Baofeng, get the UV-82 for thirty bucks or so. It's a great radio and just go to youtube and search it for a realistic review.

73, Mike

4. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD9DXZ

Glad to hear the Red LED meant "transmitting" instead of "not transmitting."

Is WFM vs NFM the same as Wideband vs Narrowband? If so, it is set to Wideband. FYI, I eventually did a Menu 40, Reset to default settings and only changed Menu 11, 13, 25, and 26 to set 107.2 CTSS tone and -0.6 Mhz Offset.

Yaesu-Vertex sounds good. I'll look into it if I can't get this Baofeng working ok.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I fyou are on Wide, try getting closer to the repeater. If they say "Low volume" with "Full quieting", it may be the radio, itself. Most hams (If you are on the fringe area of the repeater) will state that. Low volume on Wide & full quieting means it's the radio, not the antenna. If so, throw it away & drop anpther $30. If it's new, call the seller & request a replacement

Ed

7. KD9DXZ

Deleted text of this post

8. KD9DXZ

Thank you. I'll get either the Nagoya 771 or the Diamond Antenna Monoband HT Antennas RH205 also mentioned on this thread.

9. KD9DXZ

Thank you. I'll get either the Nagoya 771 or the Diamond Antenna Monoband HT Antennas RH205.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

With a stock UV-3R (2 watts) I made a good simplex contact to a base (not even a repeater) 33 miles away.

Something to be said for a LOS path.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo