Baofeng UV 5R+ Programming/Functions/Memory Recall Questions

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KK4YGW, Jul 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

True.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse...

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If you used the emission modes and bandwidths allowed in other services and your transmitter was on frequency and clean then nobody would know unless they were able to measure if the radio meets the emission mask and frequency tolerance required in non-amateur services.
    If you were using a digital voice mode on FRS/GMRS/MURS that would automatically give you away.
    You never know who could be monitoring you.

3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

"if you were using", "if they were monitoring" anyway, bigger fish to fry...

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you saying you don't know any other way to use FRS and GMRS frequencies? You do that by getting a radio certified for FRS and GMRS. There's plenty of them out there to buy.

The reason why the FCC requires FRS and GMRS radios to be certified is so that they can maintain some measure of safety and quality for the radios. This means power low enough for the untrained to not burn themselves, and that all the radios meet minimum standards on frequency, modulation, and so on so that all the radios in the service will work reasonably well with each other.

5. KE0YZY

KE0YZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you get it to work?
    My suggestions

1) Make sure you're in "Channel Mode" and try scrolling up and down using the up and down arrow keys to see if the channels show up as programmed. Pressing the red V/M button on mine switches back and forth.

2) Make sure it's an authentic "Baofeng" cable. I got a knock-off and it didn't work. When you sync to your radio from Chirp does it look like it's working? A couple of times it didn't for me in the beginning and re-seating the cable (both ends) fixed it.

3) Get a Nagoya NA-771 instead of the Rubber Ducky that comes with it. I had googled Baofeng Antennas and found this suggestion that way. I can hit the repeaters with that antenna.

Hope this is helpful -

KE0YZY