Baofeng UV 5R+ Programming/Functions/Memory Recall Questions

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KK4YGW, Jul 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4YGW

KK4YGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my tech license some time ago, but just recently started to get into radio and bought a cheap Baofeng UV 5R+ on Amazon (I'm looking at a Yaesu now as a step up)

I was able to program the radio using CHIRP
    • Call Frequencies
    • NOAA
    • Local Repeaters
    • FRS/GMRS
    • Display Mode A: Channel
    • Display Mode B: Frequency
    Was able to save all of these to the radio no problem, but I ran into a couple of issues where I think something might be wrong.

1. Programmed Channel Recall:

After programming the radio using CHIRP, I attempted to recall the programmed channels by using the keypad.
    • Pressing any number on the keypad except "1"doesn't appear to be recognized by the radio, for example, if I press "22", the radio does not respond.
    • However if I key in "19"I hear "ONE-NINE", but the radio doesn't go to channel 19, which I would expect to happen.
    2. Display Modes:
    • When I programmed Display Mode A: Channel and Display Mode B: Frequency, I also expected to be able to see the name of the Channel and the Frequency in the radio display, but this is not the case.
    • I can see the Name of the stored channel in the top of the display, however below that I see an unrelated frequency (perhaps this is on Channel B?)
    Maybe my expectations of a $30 radio are too high and should consider spending the money to step up..

Thanks in advance for any assistance..

God Bless..

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest reading everything at https://www.miklor.com/uv5r and https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Baofeng_UV-5R.

1. If the channel number is less than 100 you must enter one or two 0s (zero) first.
    CH 1 = 001
    CH 89 = 089

2. The top (A) and bottom (B) displays are independent.
    You can set them to display channel number, name or frequency by using MENU 21 MDF-A for display A and MENU 22 MDF-B for display B.
    You can't make the two lines track one channel. If you want both the channel name and frequency then you must set one display to NAME and other to FREQ and change channels twice.
    You can't turn one display line off.

Be advised that it is illegal to use that radio on FRS, GMRS or MURS because it doesn't have Part 95 certification.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    K0UO and KK4YGW like this.
  3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

because i dont know, what is the difference from ham and others,? stability? just curious...

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn't make sense to me. Please rephrase your question.

5. W9WQA

if you cant use it on the other services...why. dont know any other way..

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

VHF/UHF amateur transceivers don't require any certification unless the receiver is capable of scanning.
    In that case the receiver must be Part 15 certified as a scanning receiver.

Hams can use any equipment.
    You can't use non-certifed equipment for other services.
    FRS, GMRS and MURS radios require Part 95 certification.

If the radio is front panel programmable it is not eligible to receive Part 95 certification.
    That (among other things) disqualifies amateur radios from being certified for use in other services.

A few higher end commercial radios are certified for Parts 22 (paging), 74 (broadcast auxiliary), 80 (marine), 90 (PLMR) and 95 (GMRS). Those can be used on GMRS and incidentally on ham radio since certification isn't required for ham radio.

There are lots of other certification rules for different radio services such as FRS radios are not allowed to have an antenna connector or detachable antenna. I would suggest reading the equipment authorization requirements in Part 2 Subparts I and J, and each of the other radio service rule parts that have their own equipment authorization requirements.

K0UO likes this.
  7. W9WQA

so, if you use it and dont mention what it is, no one would know. nobody monitoring huh?

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

One can do as they wish, But that does not make it legal.

Ham radio operators should no better and follow the rules. ;)

K3UJ likes this.
  9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams now don't even know anything about Part 97 let alone the parts for other services and the parts that apply to all services.

10. W9WQA

just sayin thats all. not promoting...