BaoFeng UV-5R Newb or is it Noob?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG6QNK, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG6QNK

KG6QNK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my BaoFeng UV-5R in the other day. All this is new to me.
    I'm warming up to this $25.00 HT. I bought a diamond antenna and USB charging cable (mainly for Solar) right away.
    The Manuel that came with it was not exactly intuitive. Mainly a listing of functions. No practical examples for manual programming (I have Android and that's it).
    I have been struggling with the programming. Drowning in a sea of vacuous YouTube videos and often contradictory online resources as usual.
    I've been chipping away at it. I just discovered Milt Reynolds YouTube tutorial series. So far so good, he gets to the point and provides useful, practical information.
    The first video directed me to online resources that were very helpful to include much improved pdf Manuel's for download.
    New to BaoFeng UV-5R you might want to check it out.
    By the way, the basic performance of this $25.00 HT Transceiver is surprisingly good.
    Thank you Mr. Milt Reynolds.

KO4ESA and KI5QMP like this.
  2. KI5QMP

KI5QMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm right there with you man. Just got my license on Monday, though I have some experience (not all of it good) with the UV-5R from a prior life. What are you to do?

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Both of you do yourselves a favor and get a programming cable and use CHIRP to program the Baofengs. Make sure to get a real programming cable. There are a lot of fakes out there.

N2UHC, KO4ESA and KY4GD like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tips..

Never announce over a repeater that you are using a Baofeng.

Never transmit the Alarm Sound, Unless you have a real emergency.

KO4ESA and KY4GD like this.
  5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the fascination with Baofeng's, they're very inexpensive and small, but you will be better served with an HT from the big three. They are easier to operate, perform a bit better and are not that expensive. The user interface alone makes them a much better radio for a new ham.

KO4ESA and WS9K like this.
  6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I suspect a lot of new hams have tunnel vision when it comes to a starter radio. They see the low priced Baofengs and think that's a good beginning because they're not sure if they are going to stay in the hobby. Once they see they can get a dual band radio for $25, they stop looking at other radios. Then comes the reality when they try to use it. Baofengs are not intuitive, especially for the new ham and try to program and operate them without help can be highly frustrating. I wonder how many new hams have abandoned the hobby based on their experience with a Baofeng and mistakenly assumed all ham radios were that hard to use.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. K3KL

K3KL Ham Member QRZ Page

How is one to know the difference between a "Real Programing Cable" and one not so much so?

Tnx, Kurt

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If the programming cable came with the radio or cost less than about $20 then it probably has the counterfeit Prolific chip.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is no exaggeration when everyone says there are differences between these cables. I have been using one I bought separately for months without a second thought. The other day, I didn't feel like walking upstairs to retrieve it, so I grabbed the TYT cable that came with a cheap UV88 HT. Took me five minutes to realize that the reason it wasn't working was the cable. Trek upstairs and grab the good one, everything works fine.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^^^^
    That. My GT-5R didn't come with a programming cable. I bought one on Amazon after reading reviews (for whatever they're worth) on several cable listings. Many had spotty feedback....worked for some buyers but not others. The one I bought was from Silicone (brand name) and had many positive reviews. It was far from the cheapest one, ($23 IIRC) but it worked perfectly once I downloaded the necessary driver for the chip that's in the cable.
    Chirp does more than Baofengs. It works with my Kenwood TS-360G, too, and many other handhelds and mobile rigs. VERY simple to use.

KO4ESA likes this.