Baofeng UV- 5R models

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9YAR, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not agree more. The Yaesu FT-60 will put out a full 5 watts on VHF/UHF, something the Chicom radios cannot do on their best day.
    The ability to have memory banks with 1000 memories is a real plus, especially when traveling and putting in the repeaters along the way.
    The slow scanning on the China radio's drives me nuts also. The Yaesu will darn near scan 1000 channels in the time a China radio will scan 92 channels, they are really slow.
    The quality of the FT-60 is second to none. It's easy to program, I hate programming the Chicom radios. Nothing but trouble, especially if you are away from your computer.

Price seems to be the big thing that gets everyone excited about the Chicom radios. Their price is excellent, but you do get what you pay for. I have both and the Yaesu is the radio that is with me unless I think I may go somewhere that it may get damaged. The chicom is strictly a back up radio.

I look at my handheld as my lifeline at times. I want a radio that is tough, will take the hits, has the maximum distance in both transmit and receive and is easy to use. I want it to work every time I key down in range of a repeater or other radio. I have no trust in the Chicom radios and won't use something I cannot trust to work. The lack of a decent front end is a real pain in the rear also. Kind of like a fly that just won't go away.
    My money is tight, but I would spend the extra $100.00 any day for the FT-60. The Chicom radio's are throw away radios. You don't have to trash too many until you could have bought a FT-60 and still have a radio that works as good as the day you unwrapped it.
    This is for sure one time when the quality trumps the price.

I may seem like a hater of China radio's. That is not the case. I look at the quality and most of all want a radio I can count on 100% of the time. You also have to look at all the extra features of the Yaesu FT-60. It will do far more things and does every thing well. This is one time that an extra $100.00 is well worth spending. Radio's can be for fun, but they can also be lifesavers. I want a radio I can count on. The China radios just don't cut it, they always feel like that cheap GMRS radio you bought at Wal Mart.

There are times when price is a real issue such as buying an Alpha Amplifier vs. an Ameritron. Thing is, we are only talking about $100.00, not $3000.00. for an extra $100.00, unless you are eating Top Romin noodles every night to survive, spend the money, you will be more than glad you did.

I would not recommend one for a new Ham either. He will most likely get frustrated and never pick up another radio. After seeing the FT-60 next to a China radio, the new people in our EMCOMM group have all thanked me for recommending the Yaesu. Even the one's who are very tight on money.

I will also add that when I was a new Ham, I bought more than a few things because of low price. I've had to replace almost all of these items with quality items either because they broke, we not accurate or just plain did not get the job done. I'm far from rich, but found out in the end that I'd spent far more money than if I had just bought quality to begin with. And I'm not talking top of the line either. There is a balance point between junk and things that work well as they were designed to do.

73's John KF7VXA

Last edited: May 6, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.