Baofeng UV- 5R models

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9YAR, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VINCONTI

VINCONTI QRZ Member

question: I am not a licensed operator, but will be operating under a specific paragliding exemption issued by USHPA, who has worked it out with the FCC. We typically operate on one specific frequency, however, at some sites, they use family radio with a DSS channel (in the hundreds, so digital not analog). Once I have programed this radio to the right frequency so I can talk to other 2m pilots, can I set it so it additionally listens to another FRS channel, or even better, for emergencies, transmit on both FRS and 2m? Listening would be for normal situations, transmitting on FRS would be for life-threatening situations.

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

The USHPA has use of the itinerant business frequencies in the VHF band. These are not "2M" ham frequencies. Operation and programming would be the same as any other business band radio.

3. VINCONTI

VINCONTI QRZ Member

Also, it turns out the FRS used at this site is all Uniden, on "group code" 127. I understand Uniden has their own proprietary CTCSS protocols, is that correct? is there a way to get a 2 meter radio to listen to Uniden transmissions? I can't find any information on the internet about the frequencies that Uniden uses for their proprietary codes, but there is evidence to suggest it might be encrypted somehow. Any info on this would be appreciated

4. VE1GAT

VE1GAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Canadian Uniden frequencies (there seems to be a few stock frequencies reused between companies far enough apart)
    once you hear something a freq you hit MENU, then find R-DCS, hit MENU then press scan,
    the unit will scan & find the DCS (works the same on R-CTSS)

5. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100%. The Yaesu FT-60 is an easy radio to program, especially if you get the RT programmer or use Chirp. There is a world of difference in quality and transmitting and reception. It's a radio that will last for years. Spend the extra money, you will be glad you did. Also, the AA battery pack still allows the radio to put out a full 5 watts, the Chicom radios are lucky to put out 2.5 watts even though they claim 4 watts with the stock battery pack. Fine if your under a repeater, but on simplex or any distance from a repeater, the FT-60 is the radio to have.
    Sometimes it just does not pay to save money. I hear the Wouxsons have a problem with the frequency's just going away in time and there is nothing you can do to fix it. Check up on this more before buying one.

73's John

6. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Baofeng UV5R+. I managed to program over 100 channels with no problem using CHIRP. I can hit my local repeater which is about 13 miles away with no problems. Granted it is not in the same class as the Big Three (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) but for the price it is quite good. I have never had any problems with lock-ups on the keypad or squelch problems. It may be a firmware problem. I read some of the earliest firmware was a bit shaky. I use a mobile antenna (1/4 wave) outside and can receive repeaters from over 30 miles away. The transmit power is not enough to hit them, but I can listen. I also have used a Mirage BD-35 amplifier with good effect for a much stronger transmit. My QTH is in a valley with a high ridge which blocks some of the signal. I plan on getting a GP-3 antenna and mounting it on the roof. That will probably increase my transmit range. Overall, i like the radio - it is small, but works pretty good.

Roger KK6IVD

7. K5WA

K5WA Ham Member QRZ Page

On my UV-5R, I have found there is a "birdie" or something that keeps the RX open on 442.000 FM. Unfortunately, that is the frequency of my favorite repeater. I have checked this with 4 other owners and they all have the same issue. I am sure there is no factory support for these radios but maybe someone knows of a fix/mod?
    Bob K5WA

8. KB4RZ

KB4RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Took mine back to dealer,ws advised that the antennas are somewhat fragile...odd for a rubber duckie. I replaced ant w/diamond and radio performed as new. Try a new antenna first before assuming radio itself is dead. It fooled me too....Rick/KB4RZ

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Stock antenna works, barely. Been using my UV5RA with a J-pole and it works well; need to find something a little more portable. :eek:

10. N4OAH

N4OAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a couple Uv-5Rs and really like them. That said there are some lemons out there with various issues. I am suspecting that may be what you got, since having to drill a hole in your radio sounds odd to me. Maybe buy a handmike from amazon and see if a different speaker will fix it, or if you have another problem. good luck,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.