ad: M2Ant-1

Baofeng UV- 5R models

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9YAR, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. M6LHS

M6LHS Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K3NXU

4. WD4OIM

WD4OIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Popping squelch may be the dual receive function needs to be turned off.

If you don't turn off the dual band receive function, the radio will constantly check the other band to see if it is active. Its kind of like a radio constantly checking a priority chanel for activity.

5. WD4OIM

I've read tons of comments on the UV5R and they are like Volkswagons. You either love them or hate them. Well, I liked mine so much I now have 3, and one more on the way. Most of the problems I see people having are related to not knowing how to operate it. Don't be quick to poo poo it until you are well versed in its operation. It has its quirks but most are minor. One quirk is the Channel Skip function. I can't skip a Channel unless I use the computer software. Well, that sucks if your not at home where the computer is. If it breaks, I can buy 2 more radios cheaper than I can pay for just 1 hour of repair time. If I had 20 UV5R's I'd probably still want more.

6. WD4OIM

Yeah... Try what Tom, K8ERV said. Also remember that its a really inexpensive radio. Take a chance and open it up and poke around in it to see if the speaker wires are actually soldered to the speaker or plug an external speaker in it to see if you hear anything. Try and full reset from the MENU. It might just be that you have the CTCSS turned on for all your receive frequencies. If the radio doesn't hear a subaudible tone, it ain't gonna open the squelch. It could be a million things. Try 'em all. That's what Ham radio is all about.

7. WD4OIM

Yeah... Try what Tom, K8ERV said. Also remember that its a really inexpensive radio. Take a chance and open it up and poke around in it to see if the speaker wires are actually soldered to the speaker or plug an external speaker in it to see if you hear anything. Try and full reset from the MENU. It might just be that you have the CTCSS turned on for all your receive frequencies. If the radio doesn't hear a subaudible tone, it ain't gonna open the squelch. It could be a million things. Try 'em all. That's what Ham radio is all about. ​

8. KE7RIP

KE7RIP Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard there was a squelch problem out of the box, any truth to that? I have my wifes radio all programed for when she gets her ticket next month.
    ALSO
    I accidentally noticed while listening to the 440 band that this radio was capable of keying up. I turned on the courtesy tone and set the power to its lowest. I then took 2 radios to the basement and sure enough i heard the tones just outside the ham band. WATCH OUT when using it as a scanner. I don't plan on doing any more testing. I think my next radio purchase will be a bit more expensive and have band limit TX. 3 kids around and they like shiny electronic stuff. Next thing i know i'll have LifeFlight and the ISP and the FCC down on me. Has anyone confirmed it's out of band transmissions?

9. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, let's put it this way: the squelch settings don't mean much. The squelch will open on even the weakest signals. That can be a real pain.

All Chinese handheld radios can transmit out of band, some up to 520 MHz.

Hans

10. K3NXU

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

440 BAND KEY UP
    This radio is a commercial radio that is easily adapted to Ham Bands. It will Key Up on any frequency it is programmed for.
    Not sure what you are referring to as a Courtesy Tone...

SCANNER
    This radio wasn't designed as a scanner, but rather a transceiver that scans.
    A true scanner can scan hundreds/thousands of freqs per second. The UV5R scan rate is only 3/sec

TX LOCK OUT
    You can lock out a channel with software. (factory or CHIRP)
    Pressing the # key will lock/unlock the keypad.

For more detailed information regarding the UV5R, review http://www.miklor.com
    more specifically http://www.miklor.com/UV5R/
    Programming, Flowcharts, Software, Drivers and extensive FAQ can all be found there.

I have several and have never had a problem with any of them.

John K3NXU

http://www.miklor.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.