Baofeng UV-5R DTMF issue?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by W2NP, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W2NP

W2NP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying to access IRLP with my Baofeng UV-5R HT, but I can't seem to make it work.

When I transmit to the repeater, I can be heard just fine, even at one point talking to another guy who tried to help me through it, but even though he could hear me on his radio, when I tried to use the DTMF tones to fire up the IRLP they didn't work. Then I heard him use the tones on his radio and it worked just fine.

When I listen to my own transmissions on a Uniden Bearcat scanner on that frequency, they just sound like two or three beeps, nothing like the actual DTMF tones I heard when the other guy sent his.

Am I doing this wrong, or do I have the radio configured in some wonky way? Are the DTMF tones in the radio somehow programmed wrong? I see that there's a variable in CHIRP to change what the tones are...has this table somehow become corrupted? I'm out of guesses.

I just got my ticket, and I've tried what I can, but I'm stuck. Any ideas?

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are the only DTMF problems I know of:

1. The internal microphone is hot when DTMF or 1750 Hz burst tones are transmitted. If the receive audio level is too high the mic can pick up the sidetone from the speaker and overdrive or distort the transmitted tones. Set Menu 16 DTMFST to OFF to keep the sidetone from interfering with transmitted DTMF and 1750 Hz burst tones and see if that helps.

2. On firmware version BFS311, and possibly others, it is not possible to send a DTMF "D" tone. Pressing the [EXIT] key sends "0" instead of "D".

The DTMF settings in the programming software are for ANI and PTT ID. That can't change the tones sent when you manually press keys while transmitting.

Are you having problems with the D key or all of them? Maybe your radio has another firmware version with other problems or your particular unit is defective.

3. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

"2. On firmware version BFS311, and possibly others, it is not possible to send a DTMF "D" tone. Pressing the [EXIT] key sends "0" instead of "D"."

I have run across this also.

4. W2NP

W2NP Ham Member QRZ Page

I programmed the radio with CHIRP, and under the settings tab there's a screen that identifies the DTMF tones. Is there some way to edit this page and clone it to the radio that may fix the problem?

Here's a shot of what that screen looks like (not from my particular radio, but almost certain my radio had the same settings).

chirpDTMF.png

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't understand. The DTMF tab in CHIRP has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the tones generated when you send tones manually with the keypad while the PTT switch is pressed. You can't change the tones. It is ONLY for ANI/PTT ID settings.

If your radio doesn't send manual DTMF tones properly then your radio is probably defective. It isn't a programming problem. What version firmware is it? Maybe Baofeng broke the firmware again.

Try doing a full reset and turn menu 16 off and see if the tones work.

6. W2NP

W2NP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of.

It's sending manual DTMF tones, but it appears it's sending the wrong tone for the "D" key.

CHIRP shows it has firmware version BFS313. I've tried turning Menu 16 off, and that didn't help.

Looks like I'm hosed, huh?

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is only the D tone (EXIT key) that doesn't work then that means there is nothing wrong with your radio.
    That is a firmware "feature" that Baofeng broke and never fixed in later versions.
    You can't upgrade or change the firmware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.