Baofeng tat

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Why do you think you are receiving burglar alarms?

2. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't upload a pic as it will offend the meek on the site, but just to say it offends me every time I look at the dam thing. I would send it back but postage to china would cost more than the dam radio. 73

KE0GXN likes this.
  3. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh. Sounds like a tat you’d only get after mass quantities of alcohol.

KD4MOJ, WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds more like meth.

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I'd be interested to see any ham radio-related tattoos. Bonus points if they relate to CW.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet it doesn't say "Welcome to Jamaica mon, and have an nice day".

WA9SVD and KE0GXN like this.
  7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"has any one experienced this problem with other 5th generation radios." Yes I have seems they were designed to use the rubber duck and get overloaded
    quite easily with an outdoor antenna.... I have added the extended Nagoya whip and its still satisfactory but yeah their front end isnt communications grade.

8. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.

There is no front end. The Baofengs are pure Digital Signal Processing. If you look at the schematic or a block diagram, there are switchable low pass filters at the antenna port for either VHF or UHF, designed to prevent excess harmonic output at multiples of the transmitter frequency. After passing through one of those, the received RF energy goes directly into the analog to digital converter on the signal chip.

Assuming you select a UHF frequency, all signal energy out of the low pass filter from zero to maybe below 500 MHz are presented to the A/D chip at once. About one billion times per second, the A/D converter produces a single number that represents all the energy of that entire spectrum at that moment. One or more math processors then analyze the resulting stream of numbers, looking for repeating patterns that might represent the desired signal present near 440 MHz. If selecting VHF, the energy might be from zero to 200 MHz through the other harmonic filter.

The information calculated from that stream of RF numbers creates another stream of numbers representing any audio calculated. These numbers go to a D/A converter on the chip which puts out analog audio voltages to the speaker amplifier.

If you overload the chip producing the RF number stream, it loses the ability to reflect smaller changes in the RF energy. The math then calculates the wrong patterns as wrong audio.

W7UUU, K0DOM, W0FS and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think those are boogaloo alarms. Hot fun in the summer time.

10. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a WAS burglar alarm cert?