Baofeng RD-5R, Dirty HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KU3X, Oct 22, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

The repeater filters out that garbage anyway. :p

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QST test results were the same.... Baofeng is a dirty radio.

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean, the particular radio they tested?

I'm getting a different story here:

https://mikebeach.org/2015/11/16/arrl-baofeng-testing-revisited/

This is what the author says: " but testing at the informal environment of a convention could lead to simple mistakes in the test setup. "

and

"It’s also important to note that the ARRL clearly mentions in their article that this testing was performed on used equipment, not newly-manufactured units "

So, dirty Baofeng, or dirty ARRL or a bamboozled public/ham community? Who is pulling the 'fast one' here? Seems many folks are unaware of some specifics on this issue ...

Their test configuration looks suspect at the convention looks suspect too. No HP filter used ...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Reopen:

I hate to reopen this post, but at first I said the radio flunked. Then corrected and I reread the FCC rules spelling out that 30 to 225 mhz, 25 watts or less, the unit under test must be 40 db down or better. Based on that statement, the HT passes.

Enter January 2020 QST article on page 60. The bottom left corner clearly reads the above statement......40 db down.

BUT, they use 53 db down in their tests. Using that as a benchmark, these units flunk. Under, "Testing" on page 61, they clearly state 53 db as their benchmark !

So now my question is, "how do they come up with 53 db instead of 40 db?"

What am I missing? I am not questioning how they performed the test but why 53 db? So do these units pass for fail?

Barry, KU3X

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The difference in db and dB. :D:p

They pass only using the provided antenna.