Baofeng illegal...Can build own radio...???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2QQF, Aug 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

That was exactly the answer to the question What modification sturn the "illegal" baofeng in to a legal homebrew 2m/70cm handheld.

Got a UV-5r that has an FCC certification, nbut when I look up the certification ,it's only for 1.38ish watts.

That was my theory as well. Hence why I plan to continue using mine.

Never said they didn't. Mostly I'm hearing that since Baofengs are capable of transmitting outside the ham bands, they are illegal. Question was more of what it would take to make to make an illegal radio(due to not passing certificatiosn, ect), a legal radio via modification(i.e. the radio isn't considered a transceiver but rather a part designed to build a transceiver.)

I agree on what effect this "ban" is going to have. I'm actually in favor of carving out an unlicensed/ licensed by rule band where such radio can operate or or a rework of the FRS service to allow higher wattage's. That is the driving force behind why "baofengs" have become so popular outside the ham bands. They actually can deliver the ranges promised by the FRS radio manufacturers.

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No surprise. Some CCRs have power levels and emission bandwidths listed on their equipment authorization grants that appear to be different from what the radios are advertised as actually using.

KD2QQF likes this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QQF:

It was the lack of 47 CFR Part 15 certification, which has to do with receiver radiation levels, not the transmit frequency ranges, that caused the problem with the FCC.

For a number of reasons, it is perfectly legal for a licensed amateur radio operator to use any of the Chinese handheld units for operation on frequencies for which their license class allows so long as the transmitter meets the requirements contained in 47 CFR Part 97 concerning spurious emissions below 960.0 MHz. The lack of 47 CFR Part 15 certification does not come into play after the units have been imported. Frankly, 47 CFR Part 15 certification is not all that restrictive and getting that certification is relatively easy.

As I said before, all 3 of my Baofeng handheld radios do meet the technical specifications in 47 CFR Part 97. However, there have been specific units that have been tested by various amateur radio operators that do not meet those requirements. However, considering the mindset of the FCC these days, unless a spurious emission was interfering with units operating on aviation frequencies, on public safety frequencies, or on a government frequency, nothing is going to happen.

Glen, K9STH

KD2QQF likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some had no certification at all for anything, not even as a Part 15 compliant receiver. Some models were certificated only as a Part 15 Scanning Receiver.
    Basically saying that the parent Company of Baofeng played loose and slippery to get the things into the country.

5. WD4ED

WD4ED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is that so hard to understand? Because hams love cheap stuff and they don’t want to let go of their cheap stuff. Cheap stuff means you can buy even more cheap stuff. Hams love more stuff. Denial is the verdict.

N2EY likes this.
  6. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not hard to understand at all. My question was a theoretical one as yto what "magic screwdriver" waves were required to take an "illegal" radio and make it a legal Ham transceiver. Haven't been following too closely to the Baofeng situation. Last I recall, the major sticking point for Ham's was that the FCC was saying that they were not legal for Ham use as they could operate outside the Ham band.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Import and marketing issues. If you have one or build a replica and stay within the ham bands you're good to go.

WD4ED likes this.
  8. WD4ED

Bingo!

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Aside from the §Part 15 requirement(s) and certification as a receiver, the original Baofengs were"marketed" as Part §90 and/or §Part95 capable (and usable,) but were NOT properly certificated for those services, thus making them "illegal" for use in those services, by anyone, anywhere. Until certification by the FCC, they could not be imported, sold, etc. in the U.S. or its possessions. The radios COULD still be USED by licensed amateurs, but the could legally be used ONLY on amateur frequencies, pursuant to the user's amateur license privileges. ANY other transmitting would be patently illegal, whatever the rationalization or excuse.

A word to the wise: IF you are involved in §Part 90 or §Part 95 communications, get a certificated radio specifically (and only) for that band, made by a known, reliable manufacturer. I would NOT want my life or that of friends or loved ones to hang on a Baofeng, Woxun, or whatever as my sole "first line of defense." The radios do make a "sort of" in expensive scanner.
    And as said earlier, I'd MUCH rather drop (accidentally, of course) a $30.00 Baofeng from the top of a 100' tower, than a $300.00 YaeComWood H-T. Some of the Baofengs are actually cheaper than many FRS H-T's.

10. WD4ED

I have had one of these radios for years. Never made an attempt to make a contact with it.

I use it for a flashlight when taking a leak and FM radio while camping. Oh, the alarm on it good for scaring off pretty much anything in the woods!