BaoFeng Handheld for Echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KD2AIT, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Bear in mind, using an HT for a node transceiver could overheat the HT. All participants in a multi-person QSO will activate the transmitter, (except you) so a 4 person roundtable will key your HT on 3 of those people. This definitely exceeds the duty cycle ht's are designed for. With that in mind, an HT will certainly work, if its limitations are considered.

2. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeff, I keep meaning to ask you when I run into you on the .655 repeater about Echolink. I want to get into it but beyond using it on my iPhone, I haven't really gotten anywhere. Hope I remember to ask later!

3. KK4NPQ

KK4NPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nodes sometimes do go up and down. Especially the Simplex nodes or ending in -L
    These are home ran nodes. Does it show up on the Echolink software on your computer? You may try at different times of the day and night as well.

4. KE0LCL

KE0LCL QRZ Member QRZ Page

i wanna know if you guys are connecting the speaker jack from your computer directly to the mic jack on the radio using a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter. what i want to do but have not tested is hook the speaker jack from the computer to the mic jack on the radio and the speaker jack on the radio to the mic jack on the radio. like i said i have not tested it if anyone has contact me at my email

5. K2GOG

K2GOG Ham Member QRZ Page

6. BH3MDE

BH3MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

BaoFeng hand held it have mutil fuction and low price.So many Chinese Ham like use it connected with Echolink also.

7. MW6GCN

MW6GCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very new to the world of amateur radio, I have a baofeng also a kenwood d700, I have been reading this topic with interest
    as I have just got echolink on my pc, I would like to work on echolink on the baofeng but not sure how really to set it up or even
    if I need anything else to get it working or not, any help would be appreciated.

Geoff

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of question in this thread and several answers, but the people asking the questions might not know who is being answered. Let's review a bit.

There are two ways to get into EchoLink - you can do it from a computer or other 'smart' device, or you can access it through an Internet gateway that's operating on the radio. Many of these are attached to repeaters (-R stations in the list) or simplex radios (-L in the list).

If you are accessing EchoLink from a radio, all you need is a touchtone (DTMF) pad on the radio to send commands to the EchoLink gateway. You get on the repeater or simplex frequency where the gateway is located, and issue a command to connect to a remote node. This is usually just the 4, 5 or 6 digit number for the remote node or conference server you want to connect with. But, the EchoLink commands can be easily changed, for many reasons. If you are on the repeater or simplex frequency, and you punch in the number for a remote node, and nothing happens, you should contact the sysop who runs the gateway. It may be offline, and some of them are not intended for 'public' use.

Now, if you want to be a sysop, that has a different set of requirements. You will need some kind of interface. There are details on the Echolink web page. Some radios have built in interface, like the Kenwood TMV71A or TMD710. You connect these radios directly to an Internet-connected computer with a special cable, and do some setup in the menus, and you are ready to go. Of course, you and your node need to be registered with EchoLink and your license verified. Then, you will need a separate radio, perhaps an HT, to operate EchoLink through your gateway.

9. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got one of those "Buy and Use" interfaces. It works on my Puxing, Wouxun and Baofeng HTs. On low power there doesn't seem to be a heat issue. Just make sure there is NO RF in the neighborhood of the interface. Best bet is to connect to an external antenna away from the computer/interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.