ad: vanity

BaoFeng Handheld for Echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KD2AIT, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2AIT

KD2AIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am considering perhaps purchasing a cheap BaoFeng handheld to use for an echolink station. If you go to Amazon and search:

BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band

You will see it come up in the first result. The question I have that I cannot seem to find an answer to is: Will this unit accept an AC adapter that will allow it to transmit while plugged in?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated, thanks!

KD2AIT

2. VK4KL

VK4KL Ham Member QRZ Page

My UV-5R appears to transmit while in its charging cradle.

Adrian

3. K0RQ

K0RQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Confirmed, you can transmit with the UV-5R while it's plugged in.

KD2IAT, did you ever get this working all the way? I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my UV-5R+. I think I've got it figured out (still waiting on one more part to show up) but I'd love to hear how yours turned out.

4. KD2AIT

KD2AIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I ended up getting a Kenwood on Ebay and a Donners digital interface. All set up with Echolink: KD2AIT-R.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 12v adaptor (not charger) on Ebay, puts out alotta current. I hope to snag one. About $10.

PS-075

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. BG6RRN

BG6RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually no problem , but may be have some noise when receiving signals .

7. W0MUD

W0MUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 3 BaoFeng's. x2 UV-5R and x1 UV-5RAX (144/220) they all work great in the cradle. Works great with Echolink and IRLP too. Best bang for your buck.

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume you know what while the rig will xmit in the charge cradle, that does not supply the current needed to xmit.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. K1RCT

K1RCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hijack but... being new, I'm looking for some help.
    I'm trying to use my UV-5RE with Echolink.
    There are several nodes in my reception/transmit area according to Repeaterbook and NE Repeater Directory but when I attempt to connect, I get no response from the node. Even trying "*" to check the node, nothing.

These repeaters ARE referenced in these two resources so I think I must be doing something wrong.

Query: Do I need to key-in the node address to the repeater I'm connecting through first?

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks for reading!

10. K1RCT

K1RCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very much interested in the mechanical aspect of accessing Echolink with your BaoFeng. Specifically (if you would) how do you access your Echolink repeater with it? If you could outline the steps involved I am trying to do the same but have had zero success doing so.

Thanks in-advance for your reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.