ad: QSKLLC-1

Baofeng hand helds

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by EI2HVB, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can get the dualband Baofeng UV5R for $39 on EBay. That is shipped direct from China. I just ordered one out of curiousity - so many of my students are buying them, I guess it's time I got one and get it set up for programming. I know that some of those shipped direct from China do not have the US FCC Part 90 certification sticker, and may not meet U.S. specs. You can buy them from U.S. dealers for only a few dollars more. Radio City is one dealer that offers a warranty and local repair service on them. The owner was offering a 1 year warranty, but he was talking about reducing that to 90 days. It still beats having to ship it back to China, which would cost more than the radio.

I don't think you're going to save much buying a monoband radio. There are both VHF and UHF repeaters that cover Yucca Valley - a place I wish I could talk the XYL into retiring to, but can't speak to the other places you're licensed.

Another option for you would be a TYT radio like this one:http://www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=62 They are a little more expensive than the Baofeng. Wouxun has a monoband radio that's over $100.

2. K9ROC

K9ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

My son got one for $45 and it's fantastic.

3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered one with the software and programming cable. I bought the CAMO one, so it will be easy to hide. :D I really do not need an HT. I sold a FT-60 last year because I did not use it. But for what I paid for this dual band HT it can sit around in the shack until I need it. I can always use it to monitor the local 2 and 440 repeaters as they are close by. The stock antenna will work for that.

Or listen to FM radio on it.

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I got mine for $36 so it is even more fantasticer.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.