Baofeng hand helds

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by EI2HVB, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a Baofeng UV5R - nothing stellar - tough to program (using computer and cable can have issues too).
    Great for hamfest simplex and "walk-in" radio. Great for the one local repeater I can hit with it.

But come on - it's a FIFTY DOLLAR RADIO. Darn fine in that context - amazing, actually, to me, a kid from
    the 1970s when $50 would get you an ANTENNA but not a radio!

Just don't expect $350 radio performance, even with a better antenna. I own it, I like it, I just want
    to keep it in perspective - 52 Simplex with locals, when I forgot my iPhone at home LOL!! Nice little
    hamfest radio, field day radio, etc.... main 2m radio? NO.

WB7AWK

N7ANN likes this.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The UV-5R has about the same range as my FT-60 with the stock antenna -- I can hit the club repeater in Azle from my back porch, which is about 20 miles as the crow flies. Audio report is obviously not stellar, but I can hit and hold the repeater and carry on a conversation.

3. K4ELG

K4ELG QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have purchased the UV5R Baofeng hand held. I already had a Wouxun which initially had computer programming problems but they were solved. Now the V5 is supposed to use the same cable (mine works) with the V5 software and the driver is supposed to be the same as the KG-UVD1P. Well, I am having a problem and need some answers...I cannot get the V5 software or driver to locate the radio. I would prefer to program the hand held from the computer. Any assistance from successful V5 owners would be a big help. BTW, I added the 9db antenna to the KG1P and it made a world of difference. I have ordered one for the V5. Any help please... kj4elg@arrl.net

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several versions of the UV-5R software floating around and only the lastest version will work with the latest firmware. I would try the latest release of Chirp first, and if it can read from the radio and write back to it, then you know you don't have the right OEM software for the radio.

5. KD0TPW

KD0TPW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the UV-5r+ and this is the first ham radio I have ever owned. I bought it last month and just passed my test this last weekend and have yet to be able to talk on it but it listens just fine and took me all of an hour from opening the box to getting all the local channels programmed in by hand with pl tones and all. I didn't even know what ctcss was until I programmed in the tones too. So far I love mine, but that may change when I start actually talking on it, who knows.

6. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple Chicom radios and an FT-60 Yaesu. They all work, put out a decent signal. The FT-60 was on sale this week, cyber Monday for $120.00.
    The Chicom radios are throw away radios unless you paid more for one and got it from a U.S. distrubitor (in which case you should have spent just little more and got a better quality radio), a defective one costs more than it's worth to send to China for a replacement.
    My FT-60 has better audio and is a tank compared to the Chicoms.
    If you must buy a Chicom, get a TYT or Putsing.

Programming them can be a major pain, especially if you get a counterfit chip in the cord ( most seem to be) and they just do not have the features or work near as easy as a FT-160. Some do have flashlights which can be handy, but not on a radio (in my opinion anyway)

All in all, if money is tight, a Chicom radio will work. My funds are limited, but by spending a little more, the Yaesu radio works much better for me. I still do use the others and am not a radio snob. If it works for you, does not hurt the band and gets you on the air, enjoy, but it should be a back up. Get a quality radio as your main handheld when you can afford it.

73's, John

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. KD0PEZ

KD0PEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did have a Baofeng UV-3R that I bought from a CB op because he won it at a ham fest and had no interest in becoming a ham to use it. (he's an old time CB repairman) Our local repeaters (2M and a 70 CM) 10 miles away and there's another repeater (2 M) 20 miles away, which I could not even get into at first. I could get into the 70 CM repeater that was 10 miles out, but I kept getting told I sounded scratchy on the 2 M one. I also noticed the receive didn't come in very well. Went and bought a Comet SMA-24 antenna to replace the stock rubber duck antenna. While this helped the receive some plus allowed me to access the 2 meter repeater at 20 miles, I still received sounds of scratchiness on the repeaters. Also setting the radio up was real cumbersome to say the least. I finally sold the HT and chalked it up....the Baofeng is a cheap radio good for maybe a beginner ham looking to just get on the air any which way he/she can....but not for someone who has owned/used to better quality radios. As they say "it is what it is".

p.s. I did learn the UV-3R with the SMA24 antenna is great for popping GFCI's when the tip of the antenna is near the GFCI receptacle.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I helped out a friend in New England by getting him a UV5R. He sent me back a Youtube video about a problem with some of the recent ones - after a period of time, it sounds like the squelch starts pulsing. My friend says his does this too. I had him try turning up the squelch, and he turned it up to 9 and the problem went away. He was going to back it down and see if the pulsing noise came back. I'm hoping this is just a case of them shipping the radio with the Squelch set too loose, but it's hard to tell by remote control.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered one from HK for only $36, and the store is tossing in a cig adapter. Not sure what that does.
    I also have a pair of 3Rs.

I don't want to use a puter. I want to pgm manually so I know how to do it in the field. I make up a cheat sheet placed
    in the battery box. Needs VERY thin paper!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. KF6VCI

KF6VCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I need a cheap 2 m H-T., but only found cheap 70 cm models like this one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-BF-888S-UHF-CTCSS-DCS-400-470MHz-Two-Way-Voice-Prompt-VOX-FM-Radio-/300827907851?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item460abd970b
    Has anyone tried such a H-T. for less than $ 30? 73, Chris KF6VCI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.