ad: k1jek

Baofeng DM-1702 - unable to program

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M0XEC, Dec 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0XEC

M0XEC Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased a used Baofeng DM-1702 radio and am trying to program it but the Baofeng's MD software (version 1.00.66) is not 'seeing' the radio. The radio is connected to the PC via a USB cable. It identifies itself to the operating system as an "STM32 virtual COM port in FS mode". Windows 7 automatically downloads a driver and the port comes up in Windows Device Manager as a USB Printer! The MD software just sits there forever trying to read the radio and nothing happens. No timeout, no errors, no data read, just nothing.

I have tried on both Win7 and Win10, taking care to start the MD software first and then plugging in and turning on the radio as per instructions. I also tried different USB cables. The previous owner said they had no trouble with programming it.

I was given to understand that programming can be done via USB but if I have to use the two jacks (Kenwood interface) then I will have to purchase a suitable cable. For some reason the ones without the Prolific chip required for this radio are more expensive than the ones for e.g. UV-5R, GT-3TP etc with come with the UART chip.

BTW, the Baofeng software has no option to select a COM port and none is shown as present and available in Windows. Usually that would indicate a missing driver, but the manual does say it should work without drivers, presumably relying on Windows update to install the correct driver.

It might help if someone could tell me how the radio should identify itself as to the OS? The GT3-TP for example comes up as a "QinHeng Electronics HL-340".

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to start over.

Install the software and driver, Before connecting the radio.

Windows 7 should not be downloading drivers from the internet unless the machine is missing them. You should tell Windows what Dir they are in.

Plug the USB cable in last. Or when the software tells you to.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  3. KL7GRM

KL7GRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made the mistake of buying a DM-1702 also. Add me to the list of people who cannot get the programming software to read or write to the radio. Also, I cannot find a firmware update. It would seem that there is a long list of people with this same problem.

4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some Baofengs use TTL serial and would thus require a USB-to-serial adapter such as the prolific.

Others are based on a different system-on-chip that supports direct USB communications. I am not directly familiar with the 1702 but it sounds like this is one of those.

My Baofeng DM-5R is similar in this regard- it is a USB device, and the USB to Kenwood K1 cable that came with it is just a straight cable with no active electronics. USB D+ and D- signals are overlaid on the analog mic/speaker interface though I am not certain of the exact overlay pinout. The DM-5R registers as a USB mouse when you plug it into a Windows computer, because the radio is built around a controller that was commonly used in commercial air conditioners and computer mice. I never added or changed a driver.

It was a challenge to get it going, but I eventually found a not-sketchy-at-all app called "program software.exe" that let me program the radio.

Of note, there are no port settings anywhere in the software. If you hit the "download to radio" button, the software does nothing. But if you hit it a second time, it builds a link to the radio and works correctly.

So maybe try "program software.exe?"

5. DANILOSOUZA

DANILOSOUZA QRZ Member

Please where can I find this software?

6. DANILOSOUZA

DANILOSOUZA QRZ Member

Please where can I find this Driver?

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty sure I found it on this site. It wasn't where I expected, and at least one other official-looking Baofeng site had the wrong software. Remember, this is for my DM-5R. That may or may not be the same as what you need for that 1702, I have no way of knowing. Good luck!

9. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the correct software. IIRC the cable was also different. Strange setup. This software does work just tried it again. Been over a year since I used it. When plugged in the display on radio shows PC program, USB mode. UV5R stuff and Chirp won't work.

Attached Files:

• CPS.zip
      File size:
      461.2 KB
      Views:
  10. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UV-5RIII and just want to warn you, the cheapo ebay 8$ cable and software disc is a disaster. Almost trashed my computer with the disc and the cable would not work. Ended up getting the more expensive US KJ6ZWL cable and using Chirp to program. (computer searched and found the driver for that cable) Cost 2/3 of the radio but worth it. I trashed the cheap stuff. Chirp is only just a small bit less user friendly than the RT systems I use for Japanese radios, but is similar and does it for free. I would say save up your money if this Baofeng costed 3/4 or even half what a good Japanese handy costs, but for the price and the 220 band, it is easy to swallow.