baofeng class action lawsuit

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5THG, Mar 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone else hear anything about this?

http://baofengsuit.com/
    https://www.classaction.org/news/la...-radios-unlawful-to-sell-in-the-united-states

It was posted on our local clubs page. It seems to me like a lawyer looking for a quick payday. I don't own a baofeng myself, but they seem like nice little radios. Don't see where a lawsuit makes any sense other then lawyer enrichment, unless of course everyone that owns one must stop using it? Then I can see you should get your money back.

Just curious.

2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last class action suite I "won" was for a defective Zodiac inflatable boat. I think my "winnings" were 10% off the full retail price of a new one :rolleyes:
    1. I don't want another one.
    2. The big catalog operations ALREADY sell them for 10% - or more - off MSRP.

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they going after Moto Solutions next?

All this will end up doing in the end is the manufacturers will "clamp down" on the radio software and make the radios only do 144 - 148 MHz only (which is okay I suppose for a radio sold as a "ham rig") but I use my Moto MTS-2000 as a scanner (some freqs programmed RX ONLY).

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

AC8UN, AI7PM, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  5. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I was a member of a class action lawsuit for a silly reason. Turns out, I got a check in the amount of $650 from a lawsuit that was filed. No complaints.

This lawsuit likely has merits. I would definitely keep an eye on it.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I "won" in an eBay class action suit a few years ago.... got a check for seventeen cents. The lawyers that won it for me made something like $150 million....

Woot!

Dave
    W7UUU

KA4DPO and KJ4VTH like this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess that tells you what you are worth---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KK5JY likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And the liar, err, I mean lawyer probably made MORE than all the settlements combined.

KI7OQF and N5PZJ like this.
  9. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Beofeng UV-82 and I have to admit for a $35 radio the recieve audio is far superior to the $300 FT2D I bought during the sale. Gotta love Harry S. Chung for bringing affordable products.

KI7OQF likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, goody. A new entry in the late night commercials for the legal vultures.

I can just hear it now. Instead of an allegedly defective drug or medical procedure, or exposure to asbestos or talcum powder or some other substance, they will be asking if you or a loved one experienced injury or even DEATH due to the ownership of a Baofeng, and if so, YOU could be entitled to MONEY! Just call the number on this screen!

I think I’ll pass.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    KI7OQF, W1BR, W0FS and 2 others like this.