Baofeng BF-UBF10 Offset problem

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by ASHOKDAS81, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. ASHOKDAS81

ASHOKDAS81 QRZ Member

Hi all,

I recently got this BF-UBF10 model from Aliexpress. After doing a factory reset, I tried to do a test call just to ensure that it is working fine. Before doing the call I set offset to 000.000 and SHFT-D to OFF so that tx and rx frequency remains same. The radio receives good on the displayed frequency, but when it transmits the tx frequency dips approx 18KHz automatically. It is not visible in display. Display shows only the set frequency that radio receives on. Initially it was difficult for me to understand the problem. Then i tried to receive on an RTL-SDR. It was visible that the RX frequency in RTL-SDR is 18 KHz lower then the TX frequency on my Baofeng. Looks like it is stuck in 18KHz offset but it doesn't show it in display when i press PTT. Factory reset did not help. See the attached picture. I need your help to solve this problem.

Baofeng.JPG

Regards
    Ashok

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you may need to change the Frequency "Steps"

Or the radio is off frequency. That is a problem with a lot of them.

I just compensate for frequency error, Or you can adjust the VCO pot inside. It is temperature sensitive.

You get what you pay for when you buy these radios. o_O Exactly what you are finding out first hand.

Also, a RTL-SDR can drift a lot, Until it warms up good. You need to test it with a good frequency standard.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. ASHOKDAS81

ASHOKDAS81 QRZ Member

Hi KA9JLM
    Thanks for your reply. Considering the radio off frequency, how to do the compensation or the adjustment of the pot ?
    Since I am new to this, a little more details will be very helpful.

Thank You

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I normally make note of how far it is off, Then just compensate when you enter the frequency.

The radio will normally have 2 adjustments. One for FM Deviation and one for VCO compensation. VR1 and VR2.

If you have the proper test equipment, You can go inside and void the warranty.

I would send it back if it is new. In my experience that can be more problem than it is worth.

I do not own that exact model, But most all of them are a little off frequency out of the box. On FM most are close enough for government work. :rolleyes: