ad: KF7PMW-1

Baofeng 2M: Can not seem to make a contact

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE4LTW, May 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4LTW

KE4LTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5r, another "ham" helped me to program it via "programming cable" and I still can not seem to hit repeaters on any consistent basis. I think I have only been able to hit a repeater a few times.

I currently have a mobile antenna and a coaxial cable j pole antenna and I still can not seem to make a contact/ QSO :( Please help a fellow "Ham", thanks!

Joe Rosenfeld
    KN4-UET soon to be KE4LTW upon processing.

2. EB1BSV

EB1BSV Volunteer / Dx Helper/ Moderator / Lifetime Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thread moved to a forum where you should get more responses.

Maybe describe your situation more: how far are the repeaters you're wanting to reach? What is the terrain between where you are where the repeater towers are? Have you programmed the proper offset and PL tone (if required - most do) for the repeater?

Are you just not "pulling them up" (causing the repeater to respond to your RF input) or is that part working fine but no one is replying to your calls?

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

they are not famous for that, but look nice...

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure your SMA connector is the correct sex.

Some adapters are male and some are female.

Can you hear repeater activity ?

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you get any response from repeaters at all?
    From there, it can get more puzzling. Make sure the in/out put freqs are correct, any required tones too. Turn off any tone-squelch, and the volume up.
    Any help? If not then good luck.