ad: LEARA-1

Baofang UV-9R 15w or 18w handheld??

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE7RUX, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are the Baofang UV-9R Plus (15w) and UV-9R-ERA (18w) handhelds truly rated at the power output they claim? I have found little information on this.

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Measure the power and see what it really is. You will be lucky to see 4 watts. It is a Chi-Com product. You certainly did not expect it to meet its claim did you? You got what you paid for.

3. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am considering purchasing the unit, so since I don't own the unit I have not done the obvious thing of measuring the watts.

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Having done a quick review of some stats: I would think that a small hand held HT like that might make 1.5 or 1.8 watts if the battery was at full charge. I find it impossible to believe the advertised spec; even the one that said 8 watts. Experience with HT's has led me to believe a higher power out goes along with a much larger battery.

PD0JBV likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The companies claiming 15W and 18W and such are all dubious resellers, not actually Beofeng.

Baofeng's own website states "their most powerful radio" is the HP model and they rate it at 8W maximum (4W mid, 1W low).

An eHam.net review of this model states the owner measured the max output and it was 7W, which is impressive for a plastic cased handheld. That would be about a 1.6A drain on the battery which is claimed to be 8000mAH (hmmmm...), but if it is, at the standard formula that battery could possibly last 2.5 hours of transmitting time -- which I really don't believe.:p It would also be interesting to see how long a continuous transmission could be made before the thing goes into meltdown. I'd suspect maybe a minute or so, but don't have one to measure.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

At best that is battery capacity, Not RF Output.

5 Watts would be the Max Output that I would expect. And doing the math, The battery won't last very long.

But when the battery dies, A nice lady voice says "Please Change Battery" :cool:

7. VA7LBA

VA7LBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I'd want to be holding a 15W or 18W HT unit near my head for extended periods. If you want better TX/RX in VHF/UHF, get a decent antenna. If you really need something more powerful, buy a mobile unit or get an antenna amp.

PD0JBV likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First time I had a car with a voice annunciator was a Toyota, about 30 years ago.

I was shocked the first time it actually announced (also in a lady's voice): DOOR IS A JAR.

I wrote them to tell them that must be some weird translation from Japanese because a door can't be a jar.

KE7RUX and KA9JLM like this.
  9. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see the benefit of 15/18 watt for a HT. Compared to just 5 watt it is not even 6dB gain. See below calculation for RF power and signal strength:

• S1: 100 mW
    • S2: 400 mW -> +6 dB -> 4 times more RF-power
    • S3: 1.6 W
    • S4: 6.4 W
    • S5: 25.6W
    • S6: 102.4W
    • S7: 409.6W
    • S8: 1638.4W
    • S9: ... help!!

So in my humble opinion it is only a marketing thing, and it drains the battery like my inlaw and wine ...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020