Banned members should still be listed for call sign lookup

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KF7PCL, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed banned members cannot be looked up in the QRZ database.
    I think this philosophy is flawed because pulling the database does not really punish the offending poster and it causes more greif to anyone looking the callsign up.
    I suggest instead of unlisting the callsign, that you ban the poster from posting on the forum and strip there QRZ page to the basic name and address page and do not allow them to edit it but keep it in the database for other hams to look them up.
    I am not trying to tell you how to run the site but suggesting a change for you to decide.

2. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

How many banned people are there?

Or how many have you found when doing a lookup?

3. KF7PCL

One. But it is definitively harder to go to the FCC ULS just because they have been bad.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How would you know who were banned members unless you were aware first-hand of their banishment?? There are plenty of folks who have been banned from the forums but whose call is still in the database. Bear in mind that QRZ is a PRIVATE website and subject only to the rules and regulations set up by the owner. Those who have succeeded in having their call sign banned from the database have no one but themselves to blame.

Others should take heed. Cry, moan, groan or complain all you want. The bottom line is, piss off the boss and you're out of a job. Sometimes it's just best to keep one's mouth shut.

............Bob

5. K5PO

K5PO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm confused by the statement. I'm a paying database customer. Who is the boss here?

6. KF7PCL

Because they have "banned" under there username as found from searching the forum.

I still think that removing a call from the database is only harming others.

On a side note, why is "KF5IHU" not in the database? Was it removed on his request (he is not banned on the forum)?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your opinion is appreciated. Why other calls do not appear in the database is obviously a private matter. Keep in mind participating here is like entering someone's private home. Act accordingly or you may not be invited back. This is not difficult. Trash someone's home and they probably won't invite you back. It's that simple.

...........Bob

8. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

OH SNAP!!! Got to love it when a paying customer lets the “boss” know exactly who the real boss is.

A paying customer has a reasonable expectation that every effort is made to insure that the database he is paying to access is accurate and complete. Purposely and knowingly deleting valid database information for mere personal reasons of the service provider seems to unnecessarily and purposely compromises the accuracy of the database.

Therefore the argument could be made that by deleting a licensed ham's information from the database for nothing other then personal reasons could constitutes a form of breach of contract between the paying customer and the database service provider who is knowingly and purposely not providing an accurate and complete database to the paying customer.

9. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I assist in handling the call sign data base.

If a ham requests his call sign removed from the QRZ.COM data base, no matter what the reason is, it is granted. It is none of our business nor any body else as to why a ham would make such a request.

Now on the issue of being banned. All I can say is respect the QRZ.COM's owner's wishes.

10. WS2L

WS2L Guest

The Boss in this case is the QRZ Administrative team of Moderators and Administrative staff. Being a "Paying Customer" does not give you a pass on breaking the rules. I have banned several Subscribers myself because it was warranted so all one has to do to survive around here is to follow the rules and you will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.