ad: elecraft

Bands above Ten Meters on Field Day

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WU3U, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. WU3U

WU3U Guest

Hi gang,

Just wondering if any of you plan to have coverage of the bands above 10 meters such as 50, 144, and 440 MHZ on Field Day with your club, group, or whatever?

Anyone seriously considering VHF CW?  

I've never done much VHF/UHF on FD and just wondering if any of you have.

I've been reading that there have been a lot of openings on 2 meters lately and maybe having a look at the VHF bands this year would be a good idea.

I am currently putting my HF mobile rig back together after being off the air for a while.  It's a fairly elaborate set up and I am taking my time with it but should be done by Field Day.

If all goes well, I will be operating in the mobile class from somewhere in Cape May County, NJ (rare county for county hunters)  as I did in 2002 when I took 3rd place...LOL...the only two stations beating me were both maritime with full sized antennas on at least some bands and several operators.

Anyway, I plan to have decent antennas for 6 and 2 meters and one for 440 mhz as well on the truck this year.

Anyone else going to show up and see if the VHF/UHF bands open up this year for Field Day?

73 to all,

Tim
    N8LXR

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The groups I've put together almost always used the VHF-UHF bands. Strategically, it's a good idea if you want to "score highly" in FD. However, if you're in FD only for the fun of deploying a temporary portable station and not concerned with your final score, then that's a whole different slant.

20 years ago, the highest scoring FD station in the country (and the world) was N6VI/6, operating from Saddle Peak overlooking Los Angeles. They ran a 5A or 6A station (I'd have to go back and look) with low power and big antennas (beams on tower trailers) from a mountaintop and clobbered much larger stations running more bands and high power. How? Strategy!

They used only "run" bands to keep the QSO/hour rate very high. One "run" band they used almost continuously was 2 meter FM simplex! From a mountaintop site, they were line-of-sight to 18 million people (all of L.A., much of Ventura, Santa Barbara, Orange and San Diego Counties) and could command any frequency they picked on 2m FM. They kept up a rate of about one contact per minute for hours and hours and hours, using 2m FM and 5W. The location, and big, high antennas, did that.

The "other" bands were utilized only if the run rates kept up. If 20m was open, they could run 20m PH and 20m CW, as two of the stations. If 10 opened, it could be 10m PH and 10m CW as two of the stations. At night, more likely 40m PH and 40m CW as two. Whatever kept the rate high, and they constantly checked the rate at each station, just like a DX Contest station would.

They won, and it was unique that one of their continuous "run" bands was two meters.

In 1992, I was FD Operations Manager for the Conejo Valley ARC (Ventura Co, CA) and using the callsign K6CAB, we not only won FD with the highest score in any category, but we set a new FD record, the first FD station to ever break 30,000 points. We also operated from a mountain, but ran 25A-Battery, to give every single inexperienced op, every Novice, every Newbie, a chance to operate a station.

Our strategy was "lots of stations," so each station didn't have to keep up a high run rate. We had stations on 160m PH & CW; 80m PH & CW; and so forth, all the way up to 70cm PH & CW; plus a satellite station, packet stations, three "natural power" stations (two solar, one bicycle-pedal generator powered) and a full-time Novice station (CW only). Everything was 5W or less power output, and 100% of everything on site was battery powered (if not natural powered). Great fun, and a great way to set a new FD high score record, which I believe remains unbroken to date.

But if I was setting up a small FD station by myself, I'd probably stick with 20m/40m daytime and 40m/80m nighttime, with an occasional foray for maybe 15 minutes every few hours up to 2m, and perhaps a "listening" station (like a scanner or monitor) to keep an ear on 6m, so if it opened up with lots of activity, I could quickly jump over there and run some.

WB2WIK/6

3. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

Yes our group is planning to have a 6 and 2 meter ssb stations as well as HF. The club gets extra points for contacts made on those bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.