Band sat ops practices

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K8JRG, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8JRG

K8JRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ao-92 sat passes .. I am really interested in sat comms...however I have someone rather local to me that think it's ok to have a qso on Sat as it passes .. is this acceptable. Or bad ham radio practice. It's not a sometimes thing it happens everything the bird flys over. The whole pass he trying to carry on a one on one qso ..

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally, you want your contacts to be as quick as possible so as to allow others a chance during the pass of the flying repeater. That isn't to say that at 4:00 a.m. you can't try to have a bit of a longer contact because most people are sleeping.

In the middle of the afternoon, it is a good practice to be brief.

3. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, you need to know that conversations are perfectly acceptable on linear transponder (SSB) satellites.

FM satellites like AO-91/92 demand more situational awareness. Generally more than a brief exchange (name, QTH) is overkill. However, there are odd times that perhaps few are attempting to access the satellite. During those times it's important to be listening for those trying. Hogging the bird can be done easily, even if innocently done. Keep it short.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would limit QSO time, esp on the FM birds. The linear birds are a bit more lenient, but are not as numerous. Just as a suggestion, you might like (or ask) that this be moved to the "Satellites and Space Communications"tThreads in the "Technical Forum" section to get a more specific answer, with more details.

5. W5PFG

This is incorrect.

Go do a little research and come back with the ratio of FM to linear birds. You may be very surprised.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be somewhat true, but if a beginner is using FM only, he/she can't utilize the "linear" birds. It also depends upon equipment/band/antenna requirements.

7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious, you're listening to the same AO-92 passes that we are.... who is having pass-long QSOs? I've never heard one more than 10 seconds, and those that are are usually weekday mornings or late at night.

W5SAT, W5PFG, N4DJC and 1 other person like this.
  8. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

100% agree. Occasionally, you will hear a couple people go beyond the usual basic QSO exchange on a busy pass but never any sort of long conversation on a busy FM satellite pass.

9. W5PFG

Is it possible someone local to you is having a simplex, terrestrial QSO on 145.88? Many hams unknowingly use the satellite sub-bands of 2m and 70cm for terrestrial purposes.

What's the callsign of the person who's doing this every time the bird flies over?

Sometimes I've heard this pattern when someone is new, can't hear, and is simply throwing their callsign out repeatedly. That's another possibility.

10. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Clayton, it's funny that you mention that. The last couple of times I've worked AO-85 (or tried to), I've gotten a very strong terrestrial signal. In one of them, it was just an operator ID'ing. I looked up his callsign and he's in northern PA, near the NY border.... so seems a bit odd that it would be so strong (the signal was so strong that it blew out the rest of my bandscope, although it was being powered by an RTL-SDR dongle.....). I also got a local repeater id'ing in CW - "DE AA3E/RP" was what a CW app on my phone decoded.

AA3E is the local ARES club (none of their repeaters operates in the satellite sub band), so I'm wondering if I'm not getting some sort of image..... Perhaps something similar happening to the OP?