Band Plans and Frequency Allocations

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K1IGS, Feb 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

So, I was listening around on 20 meters today and while on 14.235 I heard a guy calling CQ. He was very quickly scolded for not operating within the band plan.

One person said he was in the SSTV which ran from .230 to .236

Another person said .235 was AM ONLY.

Being new and wanting to abide by proper frequency usage I have the 20 meter band plan posted on my wall.. this one:

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

It's the only one I know of - is there somewhere else I should be looking? I certainly don't see any reference to what the two gentlemen were so twisted up about.. only that 14.230 was marked "SSTV".

Anyone??

2. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a look at:
    http://www.iaru-r2.org/band-plan/

Now in most countries all these band plans have no legal meaning (but the FCC rules does in the US, so have a look at them) but are more gentleman agreements.
    There are good reasons for these band plans. Some modes does not mix well. Especially some digital modes (and to some extent SSTV) can sound just like noise and be mistaken as such by someone operating SSB or AM. An station calling CQ using SSB, for example, in a narrowband digital segment can easily interrupt 10-20 QSO's simultaneously :-(
    And yes, approximately 14.227 - 14.336 is often heavily used for SSTV, so may be considered inappropriate (but not illegal) to call CQ on SSB or AM there. (Calling CQ there while there are SSTV transmissions already in progress even more so of course, just as it would be to start transmitting SSTV there if there already is a SSB QSO in progress.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  3. K1IGS

K1IGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic! I've Googled the heck out of this and all I've come up with is the ARRL site I posted above, and variations of that.

Thanks for that!

4. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a US ham I'm pretty comfortable with the FCC's "you get to play here; he gets to play over there" approach to band plans. Makes sense to me -- if you're not going to enforce it, why have it?

But I'm told it's much more advisory here in Canada. That may or may not be true; I haven't asked formally. But the fact is that you'll find me in the CW portions of the bands I'm allowed to use in Canada as the holder of an Advanced with Honours licence.

The Radio Amateurs of Canada bandplans can be found at wp.rac.ca -- go to the "Operating" tab and then click on "Bandplans." I keep them posted by the key.

Chuck VE7PJR

AG5MZ likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

14.230 is the suggested frequency for SSTV. 14.235 is the unofficial "spillover" frequency when things get busy. I wouldn't bite the fellows head off for calling CQ on .235 However I would personally tend to avoid it if possible.

KW6LA and N2SUB like this.
  6. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best practice, listen first. Otherwise, ditch these spectrum hogs & go digital. The electrons you save will thank you for it.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, narrow band analog SSTV is only 500 Hz wide

8. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

ya learn somethin' new every day. thanks & 73

9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading your post, I did a little searching and found this: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf

It is for the "considerate operator", although to be honest, I can't keep these things straight. As it says, it's certainly best practice to listen for a clear frequency before transmitting, and nobody "owns" a frequency.

K1IGS likes this.
  10. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice tho if the digi guys would please refrain from operating on 3560kHz and 7060 QRP windows.

NK8I and KW6LA like this.